We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: OTHR perhaps...  (Read 2633 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
OTHR perhaps...
« on: November 26, 2015, 2250 UTC »
On a few occasions I have noticed what seems to be OTHR signals but with a difference.  These signal seems like the standard OTHR but have a CW Identifier before they transmit there machine gun like sounds. unfortunately I haven't got an audio recording yet because these type of OTHR are much rarer than the norm.

I'm just posting this if someone might have an idea what they are or has a decent recording of them.  The signals are just as loud as the others but they have this single CW ID before they transmit.

Has anyone else noticed these???

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: OTHR perhaps...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 0148 UTC »
Yes, there is an OTHR that transmits what sounds like CW before its FMCW burst.  However, it is really just a CW tone.  One mode consists of three CW tones (others from the same source use a single tone or none at all), roughly sounding like the letter O or like TTT.  I believe most of these types of bursts are from the JORN in Australia, however that is not certain.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA