We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MW antenna ideas  (Read 10481 times)

Offline Dxer92

• View Profile
Re: MW antenna ideas
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 0028 UTC »
Also here is another question, I did a random wire test today and actually the Antron 99 performed so much better then the long wire antenna. Not as noisy!!! Ok so here's the question lol, what can I do to make the reception even better on my Antron? RF Tuners, additional ground plane kit etc?

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 0101 UTC »
Also here is another question, I did a random wire test today and actually the Antron 99 performed so much better then the long wire antenna. Not as noisy!!! Ok so here's the question lol, what can I do to make the reception even better on my Antron? RF Tuners, additional ground plane kit etc?

Phase it against another one to steer nulls.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 0723 UTC »
Why not just put up a balanced dipole, the simplest of antennas.

Your trying to use a CB antenna, why ??? you're not listening to CB!

Just put up a 'Proper' antenna, you will save a lot of time!

;D

'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 1548 UTC »
As noted, your HF rig attenuates MW so help with front-end overload from nearby commercial broadcasters, especially for 160m band reception, as that amateur band is right above the MW broadcast band. If operating at 160m, you ideally want to hear other amateurs instead of splatter from nearby AM broadcasters. ;)

The reason the A99 sounds "better" (probably more like less noise, right?) at MW is because of its dramatically compromised efficiency at such low frequencies.

Your A99 has a significant matching section, as it is basically a 1/2-wave, end-fed vertical dipole for upper-HF. Forget a tuner, too, IMO. In a pinch, the A99 can go down to the 15m amateur band with reduced efficiency via a decent antenna tuner, but it really drops off below there. It is a decent antenna for 11m CB, plus even the 10m and 12m amateur bands with a quick adjustment of the antenna's tuning rings. It is way out of tuning for MW, or to be straightforward, actually for pretty much any frequency below the 12m amateur band.

About the "random" wire, there are numerous variables involved in the performance: resonance, impedance, RFI ingress, etc. Noise can be an issue with simpl longwire antennas, especially due to common-mode coupling from the feedline. A 9:1 balun (or other ratio depending upon wire length) could help with noise, plus improve impedance matching.

Being realistic, any seriously widebanded HF antenna typically is a compromise, again for numerous variables. If you are looking for an off-the-shelf MW/HF receiving solution with a moderate footprint and a simple end-point feed, consider taking a look at the basic Par EF-SWL. That said, a balanced antenna, like a fan dipole (for your bands of interest) or a large horizontal loop would be even better IMO. A good start for more antenna ideas, and even more so if you do not mind building your own wire antennas:

http://www.hamuniverse.com/antennas.html
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 1555 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline pendulous

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2016, 1333 UTC »
Good morning! I have used and have 4 square, k9ay, and beverages. I have tried BOGs and Pennants. I also have Pixel Loop and good old dipoles. BOGs are easy to set up and work great. 200 feet is the optimum length. You can buy the transformers and terminations from dx engineering, as well as the wire. What I like about them is the simplicity. Just put them on the ground. That said, I spent the weekend building what is called a Misek micro SWA antenna. It is basically two beverages back to back fed in the center and phased with a variable phasor. Total length is about 60 feet. The antenna is amazing. You can steer a null through 365 degrees. This morning I was listening to CIAO on 530 and nulled it by 30dB and picked up another station on 530 (unid spanish and music). For such a small antenna is is really good. The version I implemented was designed by Dr. Lankford. He compared its performance to two phased verticals and said it performed just as well. You could make it longer and probably get even better performance.
Also try two long wires at 90 degrees phased through a variable phasor.

Offline HERMANROCKS

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 1923 UTC »
Another place with good info on loops and wires:

http://www.wa2ooo.com