We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Medium Wave Station Search / Display in DX ToolBox  (Read 4744 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Medium Wave Station Search / Display in DX ToolBox
« on: December 15, 2015, 1803 UTC »
I've added a Medium Wave (AM) station search window to DX ToolBox. This uses the FCC database to display stations on a map, as well some information about them. The app has a built in feature to download the zipped file from the FCC (it's pretty large, about 150 MB) and unzip and parse it into a file. This file will be used until the next time you decide to update and download the FCC file.

You can also do a "fuzzy" search. Say you heard a callsign, but there's the chance you misheard one of the letters. C sounds a lot like E, for example. With the fuzzy search option enabled, similar letters will be checked as well. A list of all possible matching stations for the specified frequency will be displayed. You can then click on each station to locate it on a map.

The FCC database includes foreign stations (although I am not sure how accurate the data is). I've spotted a few obvious errors in their data even for US stations, but it seems to be mostly OK.

The AM Station window is presently only in the beta version of DX ToolBox, you can download a copy of version 4.6.0b1 here, it is available for Windows and Macintosh: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/download/dxtoolbox.html  I've done some limited testing of the Windows version, so if you see anything odd, drop me a message.

If you haven't used the app before, be sure to set your location in the app preferences before opening this window, so it centers on your location, and uses that when computing distance and bearing to the station.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline rdla4

• Acworth GA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Medium Wave Station Search / Display in DX ToolBox
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 0020 UTC »
Chris thanks for this addition! It works nicely in a Winders 10 PC.
Acworth GA
SDR-IQ/Grundig Satellit 800, Rotatable 15 ft amplified loop antenna

JoeFLIPS

Re: Medium Wave Station Search / Display in DX ToolBox
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 2039 UTC »
Very cool feature Chris! Checking it out now