We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 15300 KHZ Radio France International 17:00 to 18:00 UTC in French 12/17/2015  (Read 824 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
As I was listening to:15300 KHZ Radio France International 17:00 to 18:00 UTC in French 12/17/2015 today I heard something weird below the signal.  I was listening to it on USB (keep that in mind... perhaps) I was hearing a 800 Hz tone of what sounded like CW.

Now this tone was very very slow in speed if it was CW and had no real timing to it.  Sometimes taking up to a minute between 'letters'.  Not sending a message as such but single letters such as 'A', 'M' and 'I'.  Maybe it was more of a beacon... I'm not sure.

I was using the Yaesu FT-817ND (20 meter vertical antenna) to listen to this broadcast so I powered up the Sangean ATS-505 (20 ft. horizontal antenna taped to the top of the walls of this apartment) to see if it was some local 'toy' causing this signal and I didn't hear anything local.

I checked for harmonics etc and nothing was heard.  This signal reminded me of the madness that goes on down on 13560 KHZ and that is why I was very uncomfortable posting about this on any other part of the board.

Question is, has anyone else noticed anything like this?  It didn't sound like another station tuning up on the frequency because the 'on time' was too short to be usable for that purpose.  Each 'letter' seemed to be at about 5 wpm but the spacing of each 'letter was way too long and erratic.  I listened for the entire hour and it was there for that hour maybe more (?).  I'm confident it wasn't coming from the Radio France signal.

Any ideas?? TNX...

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!