We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: David Bowie, 69, barrier-breaking rock star and actor, has died  (Read 2589 times)

Fansome

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-david-bowie-69-has-died-20160110-story.html

David Bowie, 69, barrier-breaking rock star and actor, has died
David Bowie

David Bowie as a Radio 1 disc jockey on Sunday May 20, 1979. (BBC / Showtime)
Steve Appleford and Matt HamiltonContact Reporter

David Bowie, the barrier-breaking British rock musician and actor, has died at the age of 69, just days after releasing a critically acclaimed album on his birthday.

Bill Zysblat, his business manager of 34 years, confirmed to The Times that Bowie died Sunday after an 18-month battle with cancer.

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: David Bowie, 69, barrier-breaking rock star and actor, has died
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 1628 UTC »
Absolutely heart breaking.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 0016 UTC »
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-david-bowie-69-has-died-20160110-story.html

David Bowie

David Bowie, the barrier-breaking British rock musician and actor, has died at the age of 69, just days after releasing a critically acclaimed album on his birthday.

Bill Zysblat, his business manager of 34 years, confirmed to The Times that Bowie died Sunday after an 18-month battle with cancer.

Excellent post, Don Alfonso. Aren't you glad I called you in the middle of the night so you wouldn't be beat to the obit?

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 0053 UTC »
I really appreciate that Pigmeat. I hate it when these young whippersnappers one-up me on a good obituary. They just have no respect.

I saw David in concert at the Forum back in the mid-70s. To be honest, I was not impressed; he was very subdued, almost to the point of blandness. I guess I should be thankful for having seen him at all.

David Bowie

Excellent post, Don Alfonso. Aren't you glad I called you in the middle of the night so you wouldn't be beat to the obit?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 0100 UTC »
It was he who should have been thankful. I saw him in the summer of '74. Having the both of us attend his shows in such a short period of time was probably the highlight of his life.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 0503 UTC »
Such a bummer really... now if I want to see him I'll have to open my refrigerator... that's where I see Elvis and I suspect I'll see DB in there too...

My question is... why in my refrigerator ?  Why couldn't Gypsy Rose Lee or Marilyn Monroe take up residence in there  <sigh>

Do any of you guys know where I left my bottle of Rum???  Oh heck now I have to find the bathroom...   someone hid it on me I just know it...  It's all that Doctor Poo's fault!  He does this to me all the time... arrrrghhh!!! I stepped in to his 'littler box'  well so much for time travel... grrrrrrrrr  Sumtin' is stuck to the bottom of my shoe...  smells funny in here now... <sigh> 
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!