We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What do you think hfunderground's "threat score" is?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
What do you think hfunderground's "threat score" is?
« on: January 11, 2016, 2135 UTC »
Here's an article of a police station that uses software to help them determine how much of a threat somebody is:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/the-new-way-police-are-surveilling-you-calculating-your-threat-score/2016/01/10/e42bccac-8e15-11e5-baf4-bdf37355da0c_story.html

Basically the software digs into online public data including social media and come up with a threat score.  Its like a credit score but for the police so they can know how much of their finger needs to be on the trigger of their weapon when they respond to a call. 

Does anybody think being a member of hfunderground would make them more "threatening" to the FCC or FBI? 

California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What do you think hfunderground's "threat score" is?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 0237 UTC »
no because everything on the "net" is circumstantial and speculated, even an IP address.
the only way to be confident the information about a certain subject on the net is 100% accurate to the subjects self, is by validating the origination of the subjects information by substantial fact and proof and this is only accomplished by access to a federal/state warrant.
for example, just because you know my IP address does not mean the geo-location from it is my actual or nearby location, it also does not mean the subscriber of that IP address is the same individual using it and unless proof of a crime being committed using that IP address can be substantially established, you're not getting this information.
hence, the FCC can't possibly, legally and factually establish a definitive connection between an IP address and a pirate radio operator and use this information as a means to send NOUO letters or as a "guide" to locating a pirate.
the FCC cannot obtain a warrant on an IP address for further information simply based that the IP address was "associated" with a posted comment related to "illegal" activities because it could be anyone, even someone pretending to be someone else.
it's not like file sharing where IP addresses are connected with each other and files are accessed, that's solid proof.

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 1903 UTC »
Wow, thanks for expounding on the details, I learned a lot.  But what I'm talking about is something that the officer's use to help them do a quick judgement of a person to see how likely it is that they will hurt the officer or others.  Its not evidence used in the courts. Its like the cop is asking a robot, "Hey Robey, I just pulled over this car, what threat level is the owner to me." 

Similarly, I figure the FBI could consult robots to do the same with the likely hood of committing a crime with radio.  Say there's a terrorism crime where somebody uses radio transmissions.  I can see that just being a SW listening member like myself would make my "radio-using-terrorist threat score" go up.  And if I'm in the same neighborhood of the terrorist act, I think it would go way up.

California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 1941 UTC »
Wow, thanks for expounding on the details, I learned a lot.  But what I'm talking about is something that the officer's use to help them do a quick judgement of a person to see how likely it is that they will hurt the officer or others.  Its not evidence used in the courts. Its like the cop is asking a robot, "Hey Robey, I just pulled over this car, what threat level is the owner to me." 

Similarly, I figure the FBI could consult robots to do the same with the likely hood of committing a crime with radio.  Say there's a terrorism crime where somebody uses radio transmissions.  I can see that just being a SW listening member like myself would make my "radio-using-terrorist threat score" go up.  And if I'm in the same neighborhood of the terrorist act, I think it would go way up.

completely understand you Antennae but a law enforcement officer would only be able to use whatever information he/she obtains through the net about a subject as circumstantial information "as is" - the FBI may have higher jurisdiction in obtaining better detailed information about a subject than state/county law enforcement but the FBI would still need to obtain a warrant (just like lower level authorities) under certain circumstances, the CIA on the other hand is a completely different story - under certain circumstances, state/county law enforcement could use this information to "assist" in their enforcement operations provided no civil rights are being violated using it (think false arrest based on speculated circumstantial information = big lawsuit) - the same way the FCC could use this information to "assist" in their findings and investigation but apart and beyond that, sufficient validated proof for a warrant is needed - one thing does however help in any investigation with state/county law enforcement, is if they have on record prior history that matches the same name/address of the subject's information on the net - in a nutshell, yes, federal authorities (with exceptions), state and county law enforcement and other "low level" authorities could use information about a subject obtained over the net or otherwise, to profile a subject - social media and search engines aggregate this information together but only information that is made publicly available - on a side note, i "profile" new "dates" from dating websites before i *actually* meet them :D

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 2018 UTC »
Such things, like collected information ( including profiling ) are nothing more than devices to keep the out spoken folks quiet.  They have no place in a free speech society. That being said such things should be collected only if any person is a known and a true threat to the people.

The Federal Agencies  have a poor track record of using such information because of 'road blocks' set up by fear of racial and religious discrimination.  Read the facts that were known in the California Massacre.  They had the information well in hand but the Federal agencies, for some reason, did not use it.  It is my personal opinion it was because the killers were of a certain religious background.

Information collected and not used is worthless and the agencies that collect said information need to get a 'real' job.  My opinion take it or leave it and yes I am of mixed race... but that might be my problem ;-)

Am I some sort of threat?  Only if words hurt more than rocks and sticks.

Have a good day and a better tomorrow :-)

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 0816 UTC »
I think it's a little higher than it would be, if I wasn't here...

You guys are all gonna suffer from 'guilt by association'...

;D

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 0820 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 1818 UTC »
I think it's a little higher than it would be, if I wasn't here...

You guys are all gonna suffer from 'guilt by association'...

;D

Not to worry JP...  I've been in a lot worse company :-)  I consider this group and you of course... quite calm indeed...  this place gives me a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling <hah>

Have a great day JP and if anyone asks...  JP who??? only if you do the same for me my friend ;-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
FCC's Detroit Office
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 2035 UTC »
I think all pirate operations within the jurisdiction of the FCC's Detroit office need to be very careful!  One or possibly more of the field agents working there regularly listen to pirates.
If you are in their area, they will go after you.  I see a NOUO [Notice of Unlicensed Operation] was issued in October for a bust made back in August on 6876 in Lansing, MI.
I do not know what the area Detroit serves, but it does include at least part of Ohio and of course Michigan.

Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns