We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Regarding long wire antennas.  (Read 4518 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Regarding long wire antennas.
« on: March 16, 2016, 1611 UTC »
I'm about to embark on my first antenna project, a simple longwire. I have a 100' spool (suburban living means that's about the maximum I can make it) and thought I would connect it to my chimney on the far end and a tree outside my window for the near. That should give me around 50' of taught wire.

My question is this. In my research of longwire projects find that people often solder on the lead that connects to their receiver. However my unit (a Grundig Sattelit 750) has a place where you can connect a bare wire for the antenna in a jack like you find on a stereo speaker. Assuming that I get the length nice and taught, can I just trail the end of the wire down to the receiver directly? Or is there a compelling reason for soldering on a lead?

Thank you!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding long wire antennas.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 1706 UTC »
Something to consider is keeping in-home noises (computers, wall warts, various entertainment electronics wich spew rfi throughout the typical home) off the antenna and lead in. I would use the wire from the chimney to tree, and then coax from the chimney to the listening position. A balun at the interface betwixt antenna and coax as well as some judiciously placed ferrites on the coax would help make sure noise is kept out of the delicious yet tender signals we desire.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 1718 UTC »
Good tip Josh. Thanks!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany,NRW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 1652 UTC »
MDK2,
take a look at this link: http://www.devill.net/Documentation/ACCESSOIRES/RF%20Systems/MLB.pdf
I think this article will explain most of your questions in regards to your antenna project.

Good luck with your project.
RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 2224 UTC »
Thanks for the link Oliver, I will definitely check that out.  ;D
Denver, CO.

Offline pendulous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 0113 UTC »
I'm about to embark on my first antenna project, a simple longwire. I have a 100' spool (suburban living means that's about the maximum I can make it) and thought I would connect it to my chimney on the far end and a tree outside my window for the near. That should give me around 50' of taught wire.

My question is this. In my research of longwire projects find that people often solder on the lead that connects to their receiver. However my unit (a Grundig Sattelit 750) has a place where you can connect a bare wire for the antenna in a jack like you find on a stereo speaker. Assuming that I get the length nice and taught, can I just trail the end of the wire down to the receiver directly? Or is there a compelling reason for soldering on a lead?

Thank you!

I have the same radio. the connection you refer to is a 600 ohm input and you should be able to connect your random wire to that directly. the other connection (bnc I believe) is for 50 ohm antennas.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 0306 UTC »
If ever looking to upgrade or try something else, and especially if dealing with local common-mode noise on the proposed longwire, perhaps consider a more balanced, yet still simple antenna like a 40m-band dipole or even a G5RV Jr. for your ~50' span. Simply fold back the ends or let the ends hang down if the antenna is a little longer than span. Roll your own "ugly balun" with a few feet of your coaxial feedline as a basic choke. Either should suffice for receiving most of the HF spectrum.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Radiogoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2016, 0223 UTC »
If ever looking to upgrade or try something else, and especially if dealing with local common-mode noise on the proposed longwire, perhaps consider a more balanced, yet still simple antenna like a 40m-band dipole or even a G5RV Jr. for your ~50' span. Simply fold back the ends or let the ends hang down if the antenna is a little longer than span. Roll your own "ugly balun" with a few feet of your coaxial feedline as a basic choke. Either should suffice for receiving most of the HF spectrum.

^^This^^

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns