We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What el cheapo $100 SDR to get nowadays just to try SDR?  (Read 15905 times)

Offline dingo31

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What el cheapo $100 SDR to get nowadays just to try SDR?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 0011 UTC »
I'm afraid the cheaper sdr dongles are going to turn off a lot of prospective enthusiasts due to setup and then performance issues. Good thing better rigs like the sdriq are getting cheaper and cheaper on the used market.

Thanks Josh!
 You are perfectly right, the cheap dongles are  under performance  and may kill enthusiasts  :'(

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 1837 UTC »
I think they're great if used in certain situations, where signals aren't so strong and sensitivity isn't a prime consideration. Like when used as a scanner for v/uhf work.

When people are paying $100 or more for a dongle with a converter I feel they'd be much better served on hf with an afedri or smilar, or as I said an used sdriq - I saw one for $250 the other day, an sdriq puts a dongle to shame on hf.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline loul

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 1111 UTC »
Any suggestions for an under $300sh SDR for a mac?

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 1408 UTC »
Any suggestions for an under $300sh SDR for a mac?

While I don't own one, I have heard good things about the AFEDRI: http://www.afedri-sdr.com
Be sure to get a copy of SdrDx, it's free, and the best SDR software for the Mac, period: http://fyngyrz.com/?p=915
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns