We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wife says singer and band leader Dan Hicks dies at age 74  (Read 1246 times)

Fansome

Wife says singer and band leader Dan Hicks dies at age 74
« on: February 07, 2016, 0228 UTC »
Wife says singer and band leader Dan Hicks dies at age 74
By Associated Press February 6 at 7:00 PM

MILL VALLEY, Calif. — Singer Dan Hicks, who began his musical career in San Francisco in the 1960s and founded Dan Hicks and the Hot Licks, has died after a two-year battle with cancer. He was 74.

Hicks’s wife, CT Hicks, says on his website and his Facebook page that he died Saturday. The veteran San Francisco Bay Area singer, songwriter and band leader was diagnosed with throat and liver cancer in 2014.

Dan Hicks formed the Hot Licks after his time with The Charlatans, a pioneering rock band that combined with Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead and others to create the psychedelic “San Francisco sound” in the ‘60s.

The Hot Licks produced several successful albums but broke up in 1973, at the height of its popularity.

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Wife says singer and band leader Dan Hicks dies at age 74
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 0251 UTC »
Geez, its a bad time to be a 74 year old musician.  I Scare Myself.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 0516 UTC »
Yet not a word about the death of Edgar Mitchell. How can you look yourself in the mirror and call yourself a scientist, Al?

Nella F.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 2213 UTC »

"That's Four  :(  :o  :(  :o "

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 2131 UTC »

"That's Four  :(  :o  :(  :o "

Gotta luv it Nella!!!  Sex, Drugs and rock and Roll will do it every time!

All of my original band members have all died...  I live on...  that has to say something ehhh? No Sex, no drugs... damned little Rock and roll...  be me a virgin?  Hah~  as if.... hah!!!
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!