We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Proposals for More AM Revitalization Efforts Due March 21  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Oliver

• DX Legend
  • Germany
    • View Profile
    • Email
The FCC’s proceeding on revitalizing AM radio is headed into its second phase, looking at further steps that it can take to assist the oldest broadcast service adapt and thrive in the new media world. In the Fall, the FCC adopted certain policy and rule changes to help AM stations, most notably allowing wider use of FM translators to rebroadcast AM stations through waivers allowing translators to change channels and be moved up to 250 miles to serve an AM station (see our articles here and here for more details). Now the proceeding moves on to consideration of additional proposals on which the FCC seeks comments. The comments are due on March 21. Proposals to reduce the protections afforded to “clear channel AM stations” and the end of dual-band operations by certain stations that were given expanded band channels (at the top end of the AM dial between 1610 and 1700 AM) have received a fair amount of comment in the trade press, but there are other proposals as well. What are some of the issues that the FCC is considering? A brief summary of some of the proposals is set out below.

Lessening of AM station protections. The FCC offered three proposals for a lessening of interference protections afforded to AM stations. To some, lessening of the interference protections between AM stations might seem to be a backward step in improving the service (and a step that is in many ways undoing the FCC’s last major review of the AM rules 25 years ago, where the focus was on minimizing interference between AM stations). But, in each of these cases, the FCC now sees the major culprit in the decreasing popularity of AM stations as not the interference between AM stations, but instead the interference that comes from environmental background “noise” from all of the electronic gadgets that are now part of everyday life. To overcome that background noise, the FCC’s underlying rationale in most of these proposals is to make it possible for more local AM stations to increase their power. While the power increases might lead to increased interference between AM stations, it is the FCC’s premise that most of the interference would be in areas far from the station’s primary service area – and increased power in the center of service areas would make up for the losses by helping the stations to overcome the background noise. Of course, even with the proposals, not all AM stations will be able to increase power, so the stations that suffer interference in their outer coverage areas may not be the same stations that receive benefits from the service improvement in their core markets. Here are the areas in which the FCC proposes to decrease protections between AM stations.

Read more at: http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/2016/03/articles/comments-on-fcc-proposals-for-more-am-revitalization-efforts-due-march-21-what-questions-are-on-the-table/

RX: Elad FDM-S2, Grundig Satellit 700
Ant.: HDLA 3 (Active Loop)@315°, EWE @270°, ALA 100LN, MiniWhip
QTH: JO31 (Germany)

Please send eqsl to: oliverinusa[at]yahoo.de

Offline buzzy buzzard

• Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • View Profile
    • CKUW 95.9 FM Winnipeg -  a great local station
Re: FCC Proposals for More AM Revitalization Efforts Due March 21
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 0853 UTC »
I can pull WSM 75% of the nights here in Winnipeg, WGN, and WLS, WJR among other clear channels.  I listen because they often have unique shows (local talk, OTR on weekends, different regional sport events).  They should be protected, with the caveat that they must not air syndicated programming. If you want night time protection show that you give a damn buy having programming unique to those hours. When you have multiple spots on the nighttime dial with coast to coast or red eye radio what's the point?  network programming should go to smaller stations so less over lap at night.  Maybe do another NARBA type overhaul if things get that messed up, so you have the local graveyard channels, and a chunk for AM micro-broadcasters, and then clear channels, and throw a couple of 500, 000 watt blasters (who could afford them though?) in for good measure (that'll cut through the wall wart noise!) Perhaps those few blasters could be set up as terrestrial music streams much like on satellite radio but live hosted.  That way you'd be guaranteed a large enough audience (remember it's free on any old AM radio over a wide geographic area to compensate for a niche format).

In the end the AM dial needs a little more variety esp. at night. Wouldn't it be great to hear different music or spoken word programming on AM? Stations are becoming advertising beacons and programming is getting too cheaply produced with shock jocks shouting indignant about some guaranteed hot button issue to rile people and get ratings.  Syndication is only good if you're the only station in a given area broadcasting it, and automation works only if your playlist is unique.  When it comes to music programming it's hardy a Laissez-faire situation with all the "market" research and centralized consultants results in similar playlists in a given sure-fire format. Either buck the trend and invest some cash to add value and make it a good station to listen to. or let it go and let NPR or Public access stations crop up in place.  Religious stations may well fill the band like on shortwave. Reminds me of urban decay.

I am in receiving distance of a couple interesting local AM stations, one is CBC (NPR-ish programs) documentaries, comedy,  science magazine programs, by day and BBC, Deutsche Welle etc. segments by night.  Another is a full service rural country music station that switches format to classical music at night.

Shortwave broadcasting is not like it was in the 1990s, but I can still DX many interesting stations that are very different than the MW and FM stations. 

very basic gear: Realistic DX-160, bunch of alligator clips strung together for an aerial.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 0015 UTC »
I agree with Buzzy Buzzard on this one.  The best way to revitalize AM is to somehow (no idea how this could be done without starting a freedom of speech firestorm) bring variety back to nighttime stations in the States.  Tuning up and down the dial and getting endless copies of Coast To Coast, Red Eye Radio, or canned sports talk is beyond boring and frustrating for me, and I'm already an MW DXer.  Imagine what a casual listener must think.  Yaaaaawn. 

I'm extremely grateful for our local public radio station, and for the handful of folks playing programming that hasn't come from a syndicated cookie cutter.  Hi there, CBC outlets and Canadian locals, and a few intrepid US broadcasters. :)  Incidentally, one of the most enjoyable nights of AM DXing I ever spent was the one when I had AM 990 in Winnipeg, CBC Radio 1, in here, clear as a bell! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 0714 UTC »
Bring back Herb Jepko!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 2125 UTC »
If you're referring to a "revitalised" "fairness doctrine", I think the market has shown, by its lack of support for Air America on ambc and the like as on msnbc, that people vote with their time as well as money.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns