We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer dies at 71  (Read 1822 times)

Fansome

Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer dies at 71
« on: March 11, 2016, 2340 UTC »

Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer dies at 71

Associated Press

Friday, March 11, 2016 | 1:05 p.m.

NEW YORK— Keith Emerson, the keyboardist and founding member of the 1970s progressive rock group Emerson, Lake and Palmer, died Thursday at home in Santa Monica, California. He was 71.

The death was announced on Emerson, Lake and Palmer's verified Facebook page Friday. No further details were provided.

"We ask that the family's privacy and grief be respected," the post read. An email to the band's management company wasn't immediately returned.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer included vocalist/bassist Greg Lake and drummer Carl Palmer.

Palmer said in a statement that he was "deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music."

Emerson was born on Nov. 2, 1944 in England. He formed Emerson, Lake and Palmer in 1970, when the band debuted at the Isle of Wight Festival.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Keith Emerson of Emerson, Lake and Palmer dies at 71
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 2224 UTC »
I saw them in the fall of 1973. They played in this new-fangled medium popular at the time, quadraphonic sound. It sure confused the addled longhairs. "Where's that sound comin' from, man?" "I think it's the Clearlight, dude."

For an encore Keith was strapped in a steel cage with a Hammond organ was lifted above the stage and spun like a ferris wheel while he played. To his credit he didn't hurl.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 2320 UTC »
I saw them in Buffalo on the same tour Pigmeat -1974 - I believe it was the Brain Salad Surgery Tour.  They had the quadraphonic show set up in Rich Stadium.  Although most people were pushing the stage down at the one end, there was a very large contingent of us "addled longhairs" lounging around near the 50 yard line where the audio channels converged.  Even with my reality up for grabs from the blotter acid scored in the parking lot it was one of my most memorable concerts.  And although the above article attributes Greg Lake as the "vocalist/bassist", he spent much of his time on six string acoustic guitar.  A great show.  RIP Keith...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 0147 UTC »
That was the tour. Yeah, the sweet spot between the four stacks was the place to be. There was a large pack of audiophiles and acidheads camped there at the show I saw, too. You didn't want to drink anything that was being passed around there unless you had a spare twelve hours or so.

That batch of Clearlight was notorious for putting people in the ER. The ambulances were rolling out of there that night. The paddywagons were, too. I miss concerts like the ones the 70's.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 1420 UTC »
I miss concerts like the ones the 70's.

Me too.  The 60s are remembered for sex drugs and rock and roll.  And we Jonesers of the 70s perfected it.  Then the money chasers got involved and ruined it.  By the 80s one had to be really really careful... :(
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State