We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Right Whales gathering off of Cape Cod.  (Read 2511 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Right Whales gathering off of Cape Cod.
« on: March 20, 2016, 1305 UTC »
And they thought that tiny great white shark was something back in '75. Wait until these beasts start ramming and sinking the local ferries to knosh on tourists by the hundreds this summer.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: Right Whales gathering off of Cape Cod.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 1349 UTC »
If any other Diane Duane fans are around, you'll get this.  Maybe it's a Twelvesong?  We could use one... 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 1530 UTC »
Is that woman still swiping my schtick? The original Captain Caveman was based on her friends spotting me in the mid-70's chasing Fansome with a baseball bat in the Hamptons. She filled out the scripts with insufferable nonsense when in fact Al was my pupil, a Plato to my Socrates, studying my methods and thought.

Whale wizards. What a load of ambergris!

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 0450 UTC »
Well, thank god they aren't WRONG Whales...

I mean, that would be worse, right?

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 1144 UTC »
Well, thank god they aren't WRONG Whales...

I mean, that would be worse, right?

I was wondering when this would surface...
:)
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 0257 UTC »
Wrong whales have been extinct for millennia. Wrong whales had a habit of going into shallow water to scoop up large schools of fish. It was a strategy that worked well for them for eons.

However, nature abhors a vacuum, land based predators developed to take advantage of the wrong whales feeding habits. That's why in fossil beds today we often find the remains of wrong whales impaled on the tusks of mammoths and mastodons. The latter animals would wade into the surf and spear the whales as they fed. It was a slaughter. That's why they're known as wrong whales.

Any paleontologist who's made their bones will tell you, "Find a mastodon, find a whale."

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 1627 UTC »
That, my friend, is a whale of a story.  I know that's a cheap shot, but it was too sharding good an opportunity to pass up.  Ambergris indeed... :) 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2016, 0159 UTC »
Reminds me of the controversy over the fact that unicorn fossils are often found with cattle impaled on their horns.

Apparently this is where the term "unicorned beef" came from

Wrong whales have been extinct for millennia. Wrong whales had a habit of going into shallow water to scoop up large schools of fish. It was a strategy that worked well for them for eons.

However, nature abhors a vacuum, land based predators developed to take advantage of the wrong whales feeding habits. That's why in fossil beds today we often find the remains of wrong whales impaled on the tusks of mammoths and mastodons. The latter animals would wade into the surf and spear the whales as they fed. It was a slaughter. That's why they're known as wrong whales.

Any paleontologist who's made their bones will tell you, "Find a mastodon, find a whale."

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2016, 1204 UTC »
Brilliant as always, Al. And people wonder why I run around with you.