We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SW Pirate Radio Antennas  (Read 8804 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
SW Pirate Radio Antennas
« on: April 28, 2016, 1302 UTC »
For a shortwave pirate on 6930 kHz, would a G5RV antenna work well?  Does it matter what direction the antenna is in?  If so, how should I position my antenna if my target audience is south of my location (average bearing of 170 degrees)?

Offline Fred Smith

• Far NE MD in the Wedge
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SW Pirate Radio Antennas
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 1355 UTC »
G5RV will work with an antenna tuner but a resonant 1/2 wave dipole antenna for that freq is only 67.82 ft long where as the G5RV would be 102 ft or so.

468/freq in Mhz is the half wave dipole formula. So 468/6.9 then divide by 2 to get the length of each side of the dipole antenna. This assumes 50 ohm feed.

If you can only get it up 30/35 ft it will be rather omni directional. If you get it up closer to 60 ft or more the pattern is broadside/perpendicular to the wire.

Depending on power output should be good for few hundred miles in daytime, and a lot further at night.
FT-920, SDR Play and others. 80 meter doublet/openwire feed, 80/10 OCFD, 400 BOG  NE/SW unterminated

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 1617 UTC »
I mainly used an inverted "v". You only need one high point instead of two or three for the flat-top dipole. The " v"works very well for hit and run pirating, quickly up and quickly down. The height range would be roughly the same as what Fred said for the regular dipole but you get vertical and horizontal propagation with "v".

Get either to at least a minimum height of 25 or 30 ft. and you'll do fine. Of course, higher is better, if possible.

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 0437 UTC »
http://newsuperantenna.com/

The loading coil makes it very top heavy, so it will fall over in any kind of wind if you use the supplied tripod. This is guaranteed to break the whip. Better to clamp it to something substantial, such as a heavy barstool or a picnic table or fence. It also can't be used in the rain.

Otherwise,  it sets up in just a couple of minutes, and gets out well.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 1339 UTC »
http://newsuperantenna.com/

The loading coil makes it very top heavy, so it will fall over in any kind of wind if you use the supplied tripod. This is guaranteed to break the whip. Better to clamp it to something substantial, such as a heavy barstool or a picnic table or fence. It also can't be used in the rain.

Otherwise,  it sets up in just a couple of minutes, and gets out well.

Have you tried clamping it to your tongue?  The steel plate in your forehead would make a dandy reflector.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 1411 UTC »
The HFU seeks to document and log all radio transmissions, and does not encourage any radio operation involving surgical attachment of  transmitting antennae to one's head.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 1210 UTC »
The HFU seeks to document and log all radio transmissions, and does not encourage any radio operation involving surgical attachment of  transmitting antennae to one's head.

Nothing surgical about it. It's the same as when he wears his clip on pearl earrings to the Winterfest banquet and auction.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 1428 UTC »
I have a nice letter from the Voice of Layrngitis's Genghis Huxley from the 1980's where he says he used a large bedspring for his broadcast 'cause the wife had the weeks laundry hanging on the antenna...signal was well received here for that program, so I put forward this as a viable means of getting your signal out :). Has anybody else tried this, and if so, does the bedspring function in a manner ??? similar to a curtain array?
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Fred Smith

• Far NE MD in the Wedge
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 2230 UTC »
I did load up my wood stove with metal chimney one time. The RF burns from the rig were memorable. Nothing like an RF burn.
FT-920, SDR Play and others. 80 meter doublet/openwire feed, 80/10 OCFD, 400 BOG  NE/SW unterminated

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 1606 UTC »
A dipole cut for the frequency of operation will be about as efficient as you can get with a simple wire antenna, but the off-center-fed dipoles, wich is what g5rv and the like are, radiate well. I doubt if much directionality will be noticed by changing the antenna orientation at typical dipole heights (15 to 35ft), but if you can get it up a quarter wave or higher it will become more directional. That being said, what region do you want to cover?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline bobbert

• United SNAKES of America: OHIO RIVER: Adams County
  • pirate listener via bicycle or motorcycle travelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 0043 UTC »
Would http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1778 work?
Or would it have to be cut, for 6920?
Trying to figure out the best for stretchyman's LuLu.
Belka-dx Max
BHI Compact In-Line Noise Eliminating Module
3Eartools headphones
Dipole 66' Inverted Vee at home or attached 3' whip mobile when traveling + away from r/f

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 0247 UTC »
Good god. Inverter v dipole. Center up at least 20 ft. Each leg about 33 ft. 10 watts quiet night half the US. Works with anything 6900 plus or minus whatever. Now if you want to run power you have to test that shit out.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 0350 UTC »
I did load up my wood stove with metal chimney one time. The RF burns from the rig were memorable. Nothing like an RF burn.

I found that out when using 100 feet lengths of speaker wire. I would split it down to 33 feet a leg and use the rest, taped up securely at the top to prevent further splitting as a feedline. Run it into a tuner and you had yourself good functioning antenna from the dollar store for a buck.

One night while using my first version I noticed mid-tx the feedline had really twisted. I thought, "I'll straighten it out and never leave the air, fourteen watts ain't gonna hurt." Wrong. The burn I got from that barely insulated cheap wire was somewhere between the sting I got from a sand hornet as a kid and accidentally touching the section of copper pipe I was sweating installing my great-Aunt's new hot water heater. And it lasted. That little spot was twingie for over two weeks.

To add insult to injury it was the same spot where the copper pipe had got me two decades before.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 0156 UTC »

It doesn't ??

I may have been mis-informed...

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 1842 UTC »

Nothing surgical about it. It's the same as when he wears his clip on pearl earrings to the Winterfest banquet and auction.

I was thinking a magnet would do, quick to place and remove, and Al's head would be left shiny and new!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.