We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Art Bell- love him or hate him?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Art Bell- love him or hate him?
« on: May 05, 2016, 1740 UTC »
I love classic coast to coast am- and his ghost to ghost halloween specials. However, I think the man is nuts. Twice now he has tried to revive C2C under some new name, and twice he has failed miserably. MITD is still on air, but with a new host who makes Snoory seem like the next Orson Welles.

I am friends with Art on facebook. To my dismay and surprise, he is a staunch Trumpite. I find this odd, seeing as how his C2C made him seem fairly liberal, discussing ghosts and such. But hey no one really seems to know Art that well. He has said he will return soon to MITD, and I probably will tune in every now and then.

I am starting in the fall hosting a 11pm to 1am show on my colleges' radio station. It'll be like C2C except with music interspersed throughout. No matter his asinine political views or his failed attempts at reviving C2C, I still feel he is my biggest inspiration in hosting radio, and certainly knows how to host a show. His voice in unmistakable; the minute you hear Chase start playing and "From the high desert in the great american south west..." you know exactly what you're listening to who you're listening to. He's still nuts though..

Thoughts?
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Art Bell- love him or hate him?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 1930 UTC »
Two things come to mind;

"America has a choice between Goldman Sachs and Donald Trump"
(quote courtesy of Ed Snowden)

Captain Bipto: the alien invasion will begin with Uranus....
Art: Oh I see, yes, yes, that makes sense, please go on!

Enjoy your blm rallies!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Nella F.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 2325 UTC »
Has he invited "Crud Hullitt"* on lately? (Craig Hulet).
( *heard him once parody his name.)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 1748 UTC »
Fart Smell isn't too bad as long as he isn't drinking gallons of beer and eating tons of beans but that Snorie Norie guy is just the worse. 

I agree... Fart Smell is nutz...  I liked the very early programs but these days he sees his own shadow and suddenly there are guys trying to bump him off...  For what reason might I ask?  Like maybe he knows something that those 'guys' don't want made public...  I am sure if Fart knew anything relative to reality he would have said it by now...  He's got that type of personality...

He'll probably die due to not breathing because he was to busy talking to take a breath.
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 0309 UTC »
Remember when the crystal skulls he had posted on his website started scaring the bejeesus out of him back in the '90's?

Art and his mail order brides, sheesh! As soon as those Filipinas figure out what the Hell he's going on about, they divorce him. He then heads back to the Philippines to get another. One day the govt. there is going to tell him he's got his limit and to try Thailand. "Ask them for a Katooey, Mr. Art. They'll treat you right."

Offline aquabat

• sdr with horizontal loop antenna, "wellbroke" loop
    • View Profile
    • pesskie blog, rarely if ever maintained
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 2022 UTC »
i love art bell, he babysat me thru many night drives and hackathons. my late pops told me about him a long long time ago, and when i finally heard the show, i was fully invested.
sdr with horizontal loop antenna, 20 feet up, 250 feet all around. wellbroke loop for amdx and tropdx, very very lucky reception.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 0423 UTC »
I enjoyed him in the 90's, it was the only thing like that on the radio nationally. He seemed to snap after his buddy Bill Cooper committed suicide by cop. I think Bell had been on the phone with Cooper the night it happened, but my memory of the event is a bit hazy.

Nella F.

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 2343 UTC »
OK according to Bell's wiki page he "...set a Guinness World Record by staying on the air for 116 hrs. & 15 min."
That's 3 hrs. & 45 min. short of F I V E Days. Seems I recall some research (scientific) into sleep depravation lasting around a week (?), causing serious & permanent damage to one's psyche. Comments?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2016, 0243 UTC »
I remember Radio and TV marathons where guys would try that stuff. It usually ended with a lot of babbling and a period of dead air as the program director and the producer held our hero down while the doc gave him a shot to put him out.

Jerry Lewis was one who would get damned looney during his Labor Day Marathon, before he started taking naps.

The "Dick Van Dyke Show" had a great episode about Rob and a radio marathon as a young DJ.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 1859 UTC »
OK according to Bell's wiki page he "...set a Guinness World Record by staying on the air for 116 hrs. & 15 min."
That's 3 hrs. & 45 min. short of F I V E Days. Seems I recall some research (scientific) into sleep depravation lasting around a week (?), causing serious & permanent damage to one's psyche. Comments?

Nella... it seems as tho I have read that back when I was at University... but darn it all I can't remember the cite... <sigh>

Your point still stands tho because staying awake that long has to do some damage to ones cranial inner workings I am sure... The longest I have stayed awake was almost 3 days and look at me... I'm about as screwy as they come.   ::)

enjoy...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns