We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Solar panels and RFI  (Read 3489 times)

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Solar panels and RFI
« on: May 09, 2016, 1501 UTC »
My next door neighbor has a crew installing solar panels on his roof.
I wonder what to expect for QRM from that mess?
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ve6jy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Solar panels and RFI
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 1520 UTC »
Nothing from the panels themselves, but the associated charge controllers (esp if PWM) for the batteries and inverters etc can and are likely to cause significant amounts of noise. Steps can be taken to reduce the noise but when it's not your installation --- good luck!

73 Don
with 6 kw of installed solar power visible in <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IBChwkjzliw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 1547 UTC »
Please let us know what happens to your local noise level after they get switched on.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 1559 UTC »
Will do Chris. Maybe I will only have noise during daylight. The inverters ect. should only be operating  during daylight, I hope.
Connecticut

Offline JCMaxwell

• Central NC, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 1623 UTC »
Flexoman61, you may want to PM Skipmuck, he speaks about having this problem a lot on chat.

JC
IC-R9000L, FDM-S2, Belka DX, HF+ Discovery, RSPdx, IC-R30, BC125AT, PL-880 <- W6LVP Loop

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 1749 UTC »
Most likely you will only have switching trash during the day, as that's when the charge controller is doing its job.  Both PWM and MPPT type controllers use switching techniques to regulate charge current and usually are not well filtered.  At night, unless its an off grid system with AC output, things should be pretty quiet.

Good Luck!

+-RH
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 1807 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 2316 UTC »
I've had serious problems with the neighborhood solar power installations over the last couple years. When the first one was put up on my next door neighbors house, the QRN was so bad I almost gave up listening to shortwave. After some deliberation I chose to make several phone calls to the solar power company (Vivint), as well as the makers of the Enphase Envoy system that monitors the system. I basically got the brush off...."Oh, you're a Ham operator?", which I am not. I pointed out to them in follow up calls that their system was not compliant with Part 15, and also that the RFI was very likely propagating as far as the nearby military base. I did notice that after a few weeks, the QRN would terminate abruptly a short time after sunset. From what I can determine from extensive research on the internet, is that some solar power installations are quiet and others are spewers of RFI noise. The main culprits are the cheap Chinese microinverters used in some of the installations and the Pulse Width Modulation charge controllers. Vivint solar apparently uses these in their Enphase Envoy system. The Envoy System can be plugged into any AC outlet and it monitors each microinverter's performance, sending this information to the "Enlighten" Website using a broadband connection. The data is collected by the Enphase Envoy over the existing powerline. What happens here is that the whole house becomes basically a large emitter of RFI. It is a loud buzzing sound on large swaths of the HF band. I've used a portable to do some DFing and anything metal on my house seems to pick up this RFI and reradiate it. It can easily reach S8 on my NRD-515. Lately it's been shutting down at a few minutes after 0000 UTC or so. There are many remedies for this...here are a few links that have been sent my way...I hope you don't need them!
http://mikestechblog.com/ubuntu-antenna/solar-panel-installation-on-the-roof-of-my-home/2/
http://www.solar-electric.com/reducing-electromagnetic-interference-pv-systems.html/
http://palomar-engineers.com/rfi-kits/solar-system-rfi

QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 0234 UTC »
Thanks skipmuck, I was hoping you would post. I've seen you complain about your neigbors solar panels in your posts. I'll see how it goes when they fire it up.
Connecticut

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 0108 UTC »
Well, I'm not hearing any fallout from my next
door neighbors solar panel set up, day or night. I guess I'm
a lucky SOB!
I will have to cancel my midnight covert
operation I had planned. I was looking forward to
that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 0111 UTC by flexoman61 »
Connecticut

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 2257 UTC »

I have had solar panels for the past three years and have not noticed any difference in reception - I have used 40 feet of wire for an antenna for over a decade.  My panels are about 20 feet above my radios (on the first floor) and 15 feet above the long wire.  The solar control panel is in the basement on the opposite end of the house.  I have far more problems with a lap top near a radio than the solar panels but I guess the type/installer may play a factor.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)