We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: NWVC 6913 USB 0300z 5/15/2016  (Read 1722 times)

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
NWVC 6913 USB 0300z 5/15/2016
« on: May 15, 2016, 0312 UTC »
Station NWVC on board the ship LST 325 in Evansville Indiana broadcast a message from the secretary of defense via Morse Code during the Annual Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Test.

*VVV VVV VVV DE NWH AVC NWVC SECRETARY OF DEFENSE ARMED FORCES DAY MESSAGE FOLLOWS <AS> E IEEE I II EHIN E5 A EIE -VV VVV VVV DE NWVC NWVC NWVC SECRETARY OF DEFENSE ARMED FORCES DAY MESSAGE
FOLLOWS <AS> E EE E4 LIR<AA> DIE E A TI E TENXVV VVV VVV DE NWVC NWVC NWVC SECRETARY OF DEFENSE ARMED FORCES DAY MESSAGE FOLLOWS <AS> E E I EE E SN E 5E N IIE DECRETARY OF DEFENSE ARMED FORCES DAY 2016 MESSAGE TO
AMATEUR RADIO AND MILITARY AUXILIARY RADIO SYSTEM OPERATORS <BT> ON AUGUST 31, J949, SECRETARY OF DEFENSE LOUI I JOHNSON ANNOUNCED THE CREATION WF AN ARMED FORCES DAY CELEBRATION THAT STEMMED FROM THE UNIFICATIO
N OF THE ARMED FORCES UNDER THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE. AMATEUR RADIO HAS A LONG, PROUD HISTORY OF SERVICE TO THE MILITARY THAT BEGAN IN 1925 WITH THE CREATION OF THE ARMY AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE, PREDECESSOR TO
TODAY'S MILITARY AUXILIARY RADIO SYSTEM. THE ANNUAL ARMED FORCES DAY CROSS-BAND TEST CONTINUES THIS TRADITION BY PROVIDING AN OPPORTUNITY FOR MILITARY AND AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS TO CONDUCT INTEROPERABILITY TESTS
USING A VARIETY OF MILITARY STANDARD COMMUNICATIONS MODES. ON BEHALF OF THE UNIFORMED SERVICES, I EXTEND MY APPRECIATION FOR YOUR CONTINUED DEDICATION TO TECHNICAL INNOVATION, SELFLESS DEDICATION AND SERVICE TO OUR
GREAT NATION. A JOB WELL DONE / S / ASHTON CARTER, SECRETARY OF DEFENSE

VVV VVV VVV DE NWVC NWVC NWVC
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: NWVC 6913 USB 0300z 5/15/2016
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 0335 UTC »
I heard some of this. There was an OM on 6913u for a couple of hours on and off before having two way conversations with unheard respondents about this transmission. His signal was booming but I couldn't hear anything at all from the others.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Tom Hooper

• Northern Middle TN
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 1509 UTC »
I also copied the SecDef message, in CW, from NWVC on 4007 kHz but terrible copy maybe because I tried using the CW filter which I'm not in the habit of using.
Howsomever, I did get a solid copy earlier in the day from AGA5SC, Scott AFB, IL, on 7545 kHz in MFSK-16 mode.
Those are the only 2 instances of the message that I heard! They weren't just weak or QRMed - they were NOT there!!! Rotten propagation???

MDK2 - the other end of those QSOs were in the ham bands as part of the crossband tests. The .pdf sked that I have shows that NWVC was using 6913 kHz
to contact hams on 40 meters 1200 14may16 - 0400 15may16 UTC.

As an aside, I toured LST-325 a few years back when it was docked at Nashville; very interesting and I'm glad it has been preserved.
Northern middle TN
Rcvr: SDR-IQ
Ant: Cushcraft AV-5
Pse QSL to thoop83@gmail.com

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 2254 UTC »
MDK2 - the other end of those QSOs were in the ham bands as part of the crossband tests. The .pdf sked that I have shows that NWVC was using 6913 kHz
to contact hams on 40 meters 1200 14may16 - 0400 15may16 UTC.

As an aside, I toured LST-325 a few years back when it was docked at Nashville; very interesting and I'm glad it has been preserved.

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns