We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Firedrake, 9730 AM  (Read 1591 times)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Firedrake, 9730 AM
« on: May 20, 2016, 1924 UTC »
1710z, 5/20/16. Getting signal at noise floor. Per short-wave.info, this is Radio Free Asia transmitting from Kuwait, but I only hear the Firedrake. I've gone to the Hong Kong receiver on globaltuners.com, and both current RFA frequencies (this one and 9355) are just the Firedrake. But I can't hear anything under it, so maybe the jammer is jamming dead air.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Paul B. Walker, Jr.

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Firedrake, 9730 AM
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 2230 UTC »
10005khz, July 12 at 1705UTC and July 16 at 1718UTC. For the 2nd and 3rd time in 6 months here in Alaska , I've heard the Chinese Firedrake jammer on 10005khz. The first time several months ago, it was so strong it was interfering with WWV & WWVH. These last two times it was fairly weak but what made it even more interesting both times is I heard time pips underneath the jammer. If you listen closely in the two following clips, you can hear the tips and you can clearly hear a longer louder tone signifying the minute mark.  July 12th clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3X3iIs41PE. July 16th clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dClTJkpat30
Paul B. Walker, Jr.
paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Program Director: KSKO 89.5 McGrath, Alaska www.kskopublicradio.com

Afternoon Air Talent: Hits 106 KLMI Laramie, WY 3 to 7pm Mon-Sat www.myhits106.com

Available for voiceover work, use the email listed above!