We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WBCQ, Radio Australia, WHRI, CRI and Voice of Greece reception  (Read 1001 times)

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
I just got a tiny MW/FM/SW radio called the Eton Grundig Mini, it comes with a small telescopic antenna and I thought it'd be a good radio to use when I'm out and about so I don't have to lug the Tecsun PL-660 around with me.

I took an evening walk through a large corporate park and into the surrounding wooded area, as the skies darkened I turned my radio on and decided to see what I could pick up. Here's what accompanied me for my walk.

WBCQ 7490 kHz 01:16 UTC - Allan Weiner Worldwide, great signal SIO 555, talk about vintage radios and high power shortwave broadcast transmitters, mild fading. Even as I walked by a building emitting a lot of QRM, WBCQ stayed strong.

Radio Australia 17840 kHz 01:25 UTC - Interview with a classical composer, discussion about the means of composition as well as a classical piece. SIO 454, signal was best as I walked through the wooded area, began to experience whine as I neared a more developed area. 

WHRI 5920 kHz 01:40 UTC - Christian music, female singer, plug for the "Harvest Show" with a detailed advertisement about what the aforementioned program consists of. SIO 555 excellent signal, very strong.

China Radio International 6020 kHz 9570 khz and 9580 kHz 01:45 UTC - Discussion of credit cards and other miscellaneous news items, all three frequencies were SIO 555, though 9570 kHz and 9580 kHz would sometimes interfere with each other.

Voice of Greece 9420 kHz 01:50 UTC (to the end at 02:15 UTC) - Excellent variety of greek music, some talk programs near the end, SIO was 555.

Reception from such a tiny radio was impressive, and it was lovely to have picked up some good stations to keep me company on my constitutional.
Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WBCQ, Radio Australia, WHRI, CRI and Voice of Greece reception
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 1009 UTC »

Nice going.  I'm in a pretty rural area with hills changing the altitude by 600 feet in my neighborhood.  Among my favorite things to do is put my PL-600 in a fannypack and wrap its wire antenna around an arm.  Then a pre-dawn 3 mile hike listening to RA or whatever I can receive - I or the radio have startled turkey, deer, songbirds, and once a coyote.  Hope the weather stays favorable for your strolls.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns