We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate station Weather Radio gets the knock  (Read 3616 times)

Fansome

Pirate station Weather Radio gets the knock
« on: May 04, 2010, 1720 UTC »
To my knowledge, outside of a few crank ham operators, this is the first SW pirate that has gotten the knock in at least ten years.

Posted to the FRN:

Hi gang,
It's been a fun ride. Although 99% of my broadcasts apparently went unnoticed, I only hope that the 1% made a difference in someone's life.

I was doing some testing of the new 1 KW setup, and last month got "THE" visit. Yes, I have now seen with my own eyes, a federal badge.

Luckily, no harm done, was just given some written material about rules and regs, and informed that pirates can be DFed by remote stations with pinpoint accuracy from a central point in Washington DC. I just drew the joker card this time as my test transmissions swamped a local receive point some 40 miles away. I was flattered to be the focus of such talented tax payer funded attention. Even though the lengthy conversation was low-key and friendly, the underlying tone was very clear- Sin no more.

So, until I relocate out of US territory, or I figure out some way for my crippled, retired body to go mobile, Weather Radio is QRT.

With the utmost respect for my fellow HF pirate nutjobs, from the bottom of my former NWS heart, I sincerely thank you.

W.R

SK

Offline syfr

• View Profile
Re: Pirate station Weather Radio gets the knock
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 2259 UTC »
It's indeed been a while

For the rest of us 99% can someone summarize what "Pirate Weather " was all about?

Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 2323 UTC »
He played NWS weather broadcasts, usually from the Sacramento area, I recall. At least, that's all I heard him do.

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 0551 UTC »
According to Yoder's 2010 annual, he did more than just that.  I copied Weather Radio with edited together broadcasts from NOAA stations with the computer voice mis-pronouncing things.  It was pretty funny to hear the female voice say "Tonight, a chance of fu ck"  (Trying to say 'chance of fog').  I got a kick out of the show I heard.

Offline cpuerror

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 0048 UTC »
I would really like to hear a recording of that if anyone has it.

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 1551 UTC »
It's indeed been a while

For the rest of us 99% can someone summarize what "Pirate Weather " was all about?

The Weather Radio op apparently did some work for NWS or something, as he had access to the actual weather voice program.  Broadcasts were a mix of actual weather broadcasts from all over with computer mis-pronunciations, and locally generated broadcasts with an axe to grind.  Sometimes, it was legitimate news reports (made by the weather voice him and herself), sometimes just blowing off steam. W.R. obviously holds some kind of grudge against the NWS for something.

One of the best programs I ever heard was when Weather Radio took to the airwaves reading news reports from text submitted by a packet system from hams on the ground during Hurricane Katrina.  It was the most current news reporting of the event available.  I heard stuff on W.R. that I didn't hear or see anywhere else until the 11 PM news.  Really, it was pirate radio at its best, actually serving mankind instead of just stroking the op's ego.

W.R. even took on the FRN forum years ago when some users, including me, got banned from there for questioning a couple of pirate ops.  W.R. therefore, holds a soft spot in my heart for defending the listeners and people who report reception of pirates instead of just joining the "good ol' boys club" of pirate ops and bagging on listeners.  My FRN posting privledges were eventually reinstated, and I have Weather Radio to thank.

Weather Radio, you will be missed!  (If you read this).

Offline moribund112

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 1844 UTC »
Does anyone have any recordings of Weather Radio? I'd love to hear some of these shenanigans.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns