We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1730 in AM  (Read 2281 times)

Offline canswl

• Masset, BC
  • Thanks for the broadcast!
    • View Profile
    • Email
1730 in AM
« on: November 07, 2016, 0237 UTC »
A pretty powerful signal tonight with Deep Purple's Smoke on the Water at 02:35 UTC 7 November 2016.  Heard them last night as well, but not as strong during our DXpedition to Murray Harbour North, PEI on Canada's East coast.  Anyone have an idea who they might be?  73,  Walt
Listening to the amazing world of radio since 1967
Victoria, BC CANADA and my remote site near Masset, BC
Perseus SDR with ALA 100LN and Flag antennae.  Beverages, ALA 100 and ALA1530 and DKAZ in Masset
eQSLs always appreciated to CANSWL@GMail.com

Offline canswl

• Masset, BC
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1730 in AM
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 0247 UTC »
Carrier cut at 02:46:19 UTC without nary of an announcement during the entire time.
Perseus SDR with ALA 100LN and Flag antennae.  Beverages, ALA 100 and ALA1530 and DKAZ in Masset

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 0322 UTC »
Nothing here in Michigan, Walt (I just happened to be monitoring 1710-1800 kHz).  1730 is a popular frequency with Greek pirates.  If you have internet connectivity up there, and can access the Perseus network, then there's a Greek remote you could compare the signal with the next time you hear it.

Good luck with the DXpedition!
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline canswl

• Masset, BC
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 1356 UTC »
That's an idea, Tim.  We do have internet, but for whatever reason, my Perseus won't connect remotely, but I can try the UTwente SDR, too.   The music was too "American" for me to have thought Greece, but you never know!  I'll keep trying.  73,  Walt