We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PAR Electronics EF- SWL  (Read 10639 times)

Offline .

• NJ/NY Metro
    • View Profile
PAR Electronics EF- SWL
« on: May 29, 2010, 0113 UTC »
What do you gentleman think about this antenna? There are many positive reviews on eham. Anyone here have experience with it?

Thanks

cmradio

Re: PAR Electronics EF- SWL
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 0314 UTC »
URL pls?

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 0822 UTC »
Given impedance matching is as important as antenna location, and a matching box it has, I'd say go for it :)

Peace!

Offline .

• NJ/NY Metro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 1601 UTC »
Thanks, I've decided to give it a chance and just ordered one. I don't have a lot of space and hoping this will do the trick..

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 1639 UTC »
This antennas is a longwire with a 9:1 balun feed.

My most sensitive SWL antenna is a 160 foot inverted L fed with a 9:1 balun.  Based on the performance of mine, I would say this will probably become your favorite antenna.  Add more wire for better performance on the low bands.   Leave as-is is you spend most of your time above 10 MHz.

Offline .

• NJ/NY Metro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2010, 1819 UTC »
Thanks, I'll keep this in mind if I'm not happy with the performance below 10 MHz. I'm guessing it will be a big improvement over my current antenna, an Imax 2000 CB antenna! ;D

Actually I'm amazed at what that big stick pulls in...

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2010, 2128 UTC »
I have been using one for a number of months now, and it works very well for me. I use it mainly for pirate listening, which is often very weak-signal, and it does a good job. I have used it both with a Sony IC-7600GR and an Icom 706MKIIg.

It does pick up noise, as you would expect a longwire to do. I have seen some debate on the net about whether it must be grounded, and whether grounding makes much of a difference. I never ground mine, and the noise level is usually acceptable unless there is significant local QRM, which would probably not be affected by grounding. I have seen other opinions about this that contradict my experience, so I would guess that it depends on your local situation.

I use it as a portable antenna, and I usually just unspool it across the asphalt of a parking lot. It seems to be well-made and durable, and it has the advantage that it is all black, which makes it very stealthy, particularly in low light.

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 2239 UTC »
Grounding makes a BIG difference on this kind of 9:1 fed antenna.  Signals come up, noise goes down.