We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Samsung's Whopper of a problem!  (Read 2103 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Samsung's Whopper of a problem!
« on: October 13, 2016, 2353 UTC »
In the latest PR disaster for Samsung, a Burger King employee has been filmed struggling with a burning Galaxy Note 7 at a restaurant in Korea.

Using both hands and wearing a pair of heavy-duty oven gloves, the woman struggles to handle the phone, which is pouring with smoke.

Onlookers at the branch of Burger King in the city of Incheon in South Korea shriek as the woman uses the heatproof gloves to place the phone on a table, before dropping the warped and melted handset onto the floor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3832092/Korean-Burger-King-worker-struggles-burning-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7-diners-scream-explodes-latest-PR-disaster-phone-firm.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

Re: Samsung's Whopper of a problem!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 0029 UTC »
Sounds like they're in a real pickle.

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 0044 UTC »
Hmmm...reminds me of the Star Trek episode "Errand of Mercy" where the Organians render the weapons "too hot too handle" and bring on the Organian Peace Treaty between the Federation and the Klingons....
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Cornel

• FF79QF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 0350 UTC »
Can i have mine with HOT Jalapeņo sauce please?
Cordoba, Argentina.
JRC NRD-545, JRC NRD-525, FRT-7700, RTLSDR F0013, 40m of wire @ 8m, vertical whip on @ 7m

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 1740 UTC »
In other news;  President DU30 of the Philippines is in China today to work out a military arms deal.  Pres. DU30 plans to order at least 1 million of the Samsung 7 'fire missiles' to help with his 'war on drugs'.  He was heard to say; "If I can't shoot the bastards then I will set the a-fire".

More on this hot topic at a later time.

Fisk

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Cornel

• FF79QF
    • View Profile
Cordoba, Argentina.
JRC NRD-545, JRC NRD-525, FRT-7700, RTLSDR F0013, 40m of wire @ 8m, vertical whip on @ 7m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 1909 UTC »
At least it wasn't a whopperito of a problem. There are some bad hombres behind those.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 1157 UTC »
Hey Folks...

I've heard stories of where the football cheer Ladies put their phones when they are on the field... 

Get your perverse minds in gear now...

Yep... absolutely correct!  They put them in their... errrr... panties or whatever you call them thingies.  And yes on the 'vibrate' mode...

So if one of the Ladies were to put one of these Samsung phone thingies down there and the battery set itself afire...  would this cause a major 'brush fire?  Just sayin'

Imagine the cheers from the drunken crowd as some poor cheer Lady goes dancing around pounding her crotch to put out a fire...  it just might bring some interest in football to the likes of persons like myself...

What??? you want me to stick one of these phones where???

OK... I'll leave.... <sigh> 
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 1521 UTC »
Perhaps they were using an illegal coil to power the phone?
(Dimension W fans will get that)
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns