We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WI2JXP Experimental station @ 5058.5 kHz  (Read 1437 times)

Offline CrackedLCD

• Baldwin County, Alabama
  • Not nearly as think as you confused I am.
    • View Profile
    • Alabama Broadcast Media Page
    • Email
WI2JXP Experimental station @ 5058.5 kHz
« on: November 01, 2016, 0912 UTC »
I caught this beacon sounding off at around 3:30 am local time (0830 UTC).

It's on 5058.5 kHz.  It's slowly sending this in Morse code: “WI2XJP WAYLAND MA FN42HI”

WI2XJP appears to be a license for an experimental station in Wayland, Mass.  FN42hi is the grid square.

I'm afraid the FCC experimental license information doesn't really tell us much.  It's authorized on a variety frequencies, in a variety of modes, at 2 kW ERP.  Has anyone heard this, or know what the purpose of these broadcasts are?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 2158 UTC by DimBulb »
Baldwin County, Alabama
SDRplay RSP-1
W6LVP active loop
Please QSL to: sordidandsublime@gmail.com

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: WI2JXP Experimental station @ 5085.5 kHz
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 2146 UTC »
I was listening to this with strong signals from 2000 UTC until 2030 UTC. The CW was slow enough where I could decode it by using my cheap plastic Logitech microphone in front of the speaker and recording it in Audacity. The dots and dashes show up quite distinctly! Every 50 seconds was the following WI2XJP WAYLAND MA FN42 HI
***I have it on 5058ish...could the 5085.5 be a typo perhaps?

2200 UTC Still going strong here in Western MA!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 2202 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's