We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: French-language 940 station=CFNV, Montréal, QC - November 27, 0500 UTC  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Had this last night, for the first time ever.  QTH Madison, WI.  I switched on the old Sony boombox bedside radio, intending to listen to the oldtime radio shows out of Hamilton, ON down on 900kHz.  Scrolling down the band, I suddenly heard--ooh!  French on 940?  Soft francophone pop/AC just before the hour, to a clear French-language 940 AM ID, then into a string of songs with very brief chat snippets between.  I recognized only one song - "Don't Worry, Be Happy".  All the rest were not in English, but were in much the same musical genre.  Who was this, anybody know, and exactly how unusual of a catch have I made?  I could hear WFAW out of nearby Fort Atkinson, WI beneath and occasionally above my friendly francophone visitor; my guess is somebody forgot to go off day power over in Fort.  Oops!  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 1107 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: French-language 940 station=? November 27, 0500 UTC
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 2220 UTC »
You found a shiny new station in Montréal: CFNV

From Glenn Hauser:

http://www.worldofradio.com/dxlatest.txt
** CANADA. CFNV, 940, Montréal testing --- CFNV 940 in Montréal QC is
now testing with music and test message in French. Will be French talk
at 50 kW. Curious if you fellows can catch the test after dark (Charly
Gauthier, Brossard, QC, 1943 UT Nov 16, WTFDA mwdx gg via DXLD)

From another site:

TTP Media’s CFNV 940 AM begins on-air testing.
After occasional sputters of an audible tone a few hours a day over a few weeks, 940 AM has actual audio for the first time in almost seven years as TTP Media’s first AM radio station has officially begun testing.
The programming consists of music in English and French, with a 23-second announcement about the station about every 15 minutes confirming its callsign of CFNV and asking people with reception issues to call 1-855-732-5940. It says the station will launch “progressivement sous peu” or “très bientôt” (the message varies slightly).
CFNV will be a French-language talk station when it launches, which the CRTC has said it must do by Nov. 21. The licence was first authorized in 2011, and the deadline extended three times (one more than usual).
The deadline to launch an English station at 600 AM passed on Nov. 9. The CRTC confirms to me it has received an application for an extension to that deadline (which was supposed to be final) but has not made a decision yet.
A third station, a French sports-talk at 850 AM, had its authorization expire this summer with no request for extension.
940 AM, which is assigned to Montreal as a clear channel, so this station will have a very large footprint at night, was last used by AM 940, a Corus-owned station that began as 940 News and kept cutting resources and changing formats until it finally shut down in 2010.
http://blog.fagstein.com/2016/11/16/cfnv-940-am-begins-on-air-testing/
Alan Doherty on MWC fb group (17/11-2016)

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: French-language 940 station=? November 27, 0500 UTC
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 1106 UTC »
Ooooh, shiny new Quebecois station is go! :)  Cheers! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.