We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: IT'S OFFICIAL: Radio Australia to Close January 31, 2017  (Read 3235 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
IT'S OFFICIAL: Radio Australia to Close January 31, 2017
« on: December 06, 2016, 0126 UTC »
Both RA's International Service and the Northern Territory SW services will close on January 31, as announced in a media release from the ABC this morning. Too long to publish here, but I have the full media statement and reasons for the decision at the Mount Evelyn DX Report blog.

http://medxr.blogspot.com.au/2016/12/radio-australia-to-close-january-31-2017.html

As a Aussie, I'm pretty disappointed that this is happening. But we knew it would come eventually. RA began its services in the 1930s.

73, Rob Wagner VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: IT'S OFFICIAL: Radio Australia to Close January 31, 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 0148 UTC »
Damn, that's sad news.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Bones

• NE Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 0151 UTC »
Another one bites the dust.  *&$#@!!  :'(
Kenwood TS-940SAT
Sony SW7600G
QTH: NE Florida

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 0224 UTC »
Make some recordings before they go off the air for good. It will be something to remember them by....
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 0338 UTC »
I guess all those Pacific Islands that made up a lot of Radio Australia's audience will tune in online using their cell phones and stuff, during times when the diesel powered generators running the electrical grid are on.....

What a drag. I discovered Australian rock and roll by tuning in to Radio Australia by accident on morning, a long, long time ago.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline VK3BVW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 0627 UTC »
I guess all those Pacific Islands that made up a lot of Radio Australia's audience will tune in online using their cell phones and stuff, during times when the diesel powered generators running the electrical grid are on.....

Yeh...that's gonna be a real problem when their islands get hit by cyclones during cyclone season....which is about to start now actually!!
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com

Offline Daniel Wyllyans

• DX Legend
  • Nova Xavantina MT Brazil
    • View Profile
    • Dx Brazil SW / Dexismo internacional
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 1518 UTC »
 Sad:( :( :( :( :'(
RX: 📻  Malahiteam SDR DSP 5
 📻 TEF 6686
📻 Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium
Antenna: 📡  Delta loop DS Antenas & ghz
and 📡 Telescopic
QTH:  Serra do Roncador (Rural)
City: Nova Xavantina
State: Mato Grosso
Site: http://dxbrazilsw.blogspot.com.br
e-QSLs please to danielnx18@gmail.com

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 1716 UTC »
I better start listening to them before they go off the air for good! And on the brighter side, I got a email from Radio Habana Cuba and they mail me the frequency list
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Online Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 2314 UTC »

A truly sad bit of news.  Maybe a relay station can pick up some programming. :'(
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline wingate19

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 0132 UTC »
It may be tilting at windmails but EVERYONE should write to Radio Australia why they think eliminating shortwave is a BAD idea.  I already have done so....

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 0241 UTC »
It may be tilting at windmails but EVERYONE should write to Radio Australia why they think eliminating shortwave is a BAD idea.  I already have done so....

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/contact-us
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline buzzy buzzard

• Winnipeg, Manitoba
    • View Profile
    • CKUW 95.9 FM Winnipeg -  a great local station
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 0422 UTC »
Shortwave BC bands are hard enough in North America to find suitable content to fit my mood.  Now what?  It's 1984 and Big Brother Scare is watching you on 11 frequencies.  What business model works for SW?  If Over Done-r Ministry can make a go of it, by having enough listeners to convince to pony up to buy airtime and then some, they must surely be life left in the medium.

When I was still on the farm in the 1990s and had to repair a tractor out in the field shortwave made the time fly by.  My wi-fi reception is obviously non-existent out in the middle of nowhere.  If I had brought some podcasts, most likely they would be poor substitutes to a live shortwave "stream" with news bulletins and happy surprises. 

The internet is a whole other kind of cumbersome hunting, powering up the computer logging in, clicking a mad trail to your content.  I'm not in the habit.  The medium is the message after all.  Media types seem to have forgotten that.

Well I'll enjoy what little Radio Australia that remains until the 31st.
very basic gear: Realistic DX-160, bunch of alligator clips strung together for an aerial.

Offline slowtrain

• DX Legend
  • Central Savannah River Area of South Carolina
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Slow Train
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 2353 UTC »
 I do not understand why in the world would you stop broadcasting on shortwave especially to the islands to the east? It seems that those who decide to do this usually those who think that paying for the internet service that people can afford this when in reality most of not all people in these island countries do not have money coming out their ears. Plus they all ready have radios and can listen and be updated if there is severe weather in the area. Plus it is a moral obligation that Australia offer this to those who have little money! And they do not have the money to either buy a smart phone or television set. Radio is portable too!! I think also that politicians get a kick out of saying that they are saving money for their citizens yet there is little money that is spent in shortwave these days!!
Brant Hunt 
Eton E1XM Radio Sony ICF-2010 Radio
Alpha Delta Ultra DX antenna
300ft beverage antenna
W6LVP Loop Antenna use for AM dxing and SWL

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 0305 UTC »
Radio Australia was one of the sole survivors of shortwave radio in the region, however, it's a shadow of its former self of years not too distant.  

Budget cuts and funding issues meant that most of the programming was "lifted" off ABC News Radio and Radio National which is the Australian national domestic service.  

They cite that shortwave radio is "dated" technology and has reached its use by date and that Digital Radio and Internet Streaming will be the key focus from January 31st 2017.

Radio Australia is extremely popular in the Pacific island nations, not only do the expatriate community but locals alike tune to radio Australia for news, sport and features.  

Not so long back when I was on Nauru in the Central Pacific one could hear Radio Australia coming from various houses all over the island when Australian Rules Football "match of the day" was broadcast live, likewise in the southern Pacific where rugby union and rugby league is popular many tuned to Radio Australia for the live matches on shortwave.

While living on various islands in Micronesia and the South Pacific it was customary for the local MW radio station to take a "relay" of the Radio Australia news and rebroadcast it over the local MW outlet for locals who don't have SW radio. 

In the past few years there has been very little "in house" productions at Radio Australia, it turned into a clone of ABC News Radio and ABC Radio National, thus reducing staffing levels and the all important "costs" involved.

Looks like Radio New Zealand will be left to fill the void, but for how long will RNZ survive for? ???

Jack VK2XQ (fomerly C21JH, 3D2JH, V63JH, T30JH, P29JH, KC6JH, A35JH, H44JH.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 0310 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 1909 UTC »
I go off-roading in the southwestern deserts a lot and could easily listen to Radio Australia on my mobile HF rig. I will miss hearing them.
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half