We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Australian/New Zealand NDB's heard in USA or Asia?  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Australian/New Zealand NDB's heard in USA or Asia?
« on: April 17, 2017, 1040 UTC »
Would be interested to know if any LW DXers in the USA or Asia are receiving any Australian or New Zealand NDB's recently?  If so which beacons, signal report and time in UTC.  

This information will enable me to look for NBD's in your region, much appreciated.
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Australian/New Zealand NDB's heard in USA or Asia?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 1552 UTC »
I have heard many Aus/NZ NDBs, but only via the Kiwi SDR in NZ.  Here in the central USA, Hawaii is about the limit of what is typically heard.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 2245 UTC »
Probably impossible from Michigan.  My furthest west NDB DX is British Columbia. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 0933 UTC »
Thank you gentlemen, my best distance from here is around 8,000kms to JJY Time Signal on 60KHz last March (2016), sadly, propagation didn't repeat this year. 

James WL7NO in Alaska has received some of the Pacific Islands beacons in the Federated States of Micronesia, plus Iwo Jima and Hawaii this season but hasn't made it to Australia or New Zealand.

This season I have struggled to get over the 3,500km range.  I just use an old fashioned home base station here, not into computer links offshore, defeats the purpose of logging a new beacon or improving on my distance record.

Good DXing and thanks for the input.

Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.