We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wolverine Radio 6925u  (Read 2383 times)

Fansome

Wolverine Radio 6925u
« on: July 01, 2010, 0229 UTC »
Wolverine Radio 6925u 6/31/10 02:26 or so, sio232, very weak, Bee Gees, Stevie Wonder, "Do You Think I'm Sexy", coming up to 433 now at 02:34, id at 02:38 but I couldn't make it out, id from #pirateradio, music is very strong now but the id was inaudible to me
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 0239 UTC by Fansome »

Offline outhouse radio

• View Profile
Re: 6925u
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 0231 UTC »
SAME HERE   AL !!  s9--10    02:41 signal is now hitting +20-30 on peaks
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 0241 UTC by outhouse radio »

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Wolverine Radio 6925u
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 0338 UTC »
Wow ... really good signal into NC Texas tonight from "Wolverine Radio".

Time 0335z / 10:35 PM CDT

Listening on Degen DE1103 / 1103 portable battery-powered radio inside the house.

Just copied (audibly) a FAX/Slow-scan transmission.

And, they are off the air now.

Edit: Corrected time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 0413 UTC by SW-J »
o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 0403 UTC »
Since around 0240z, heard Commodores "I'm Easy", Elton John "Benny and the Jets".
0307z: Eagles "Witchy Woman"
0312z: Joni Mitchell "Twisted"
0323z: Men at Work "Overkill", Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge"
0333z: Little Feat "Fat Man in the Bath Tub"

0337z: SSTV of some nifty looking radio gear

Sure is '70s in here.  Well, mebbe not... can't figure out tonight's theme.

That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 1357 UTC »

0337z: SSTV of some nifty looking radio gear

Sure is '70s in here.  Well, mebbe not... can't figure out tonight's theme.

Lex, what program do you use to copy SSTV off the air?

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 1920 UTC »

MMSSTV, one of the world's great freebie programs.  Should be available from several sites.

Very easy to use, only takes a little work to set up.  Once the program is calibrated to your sound card's clock, it runs in auto mode with little or no user intervention.

Other than the calibration step (easy to do and explained with the program, mostly using a WWV freq), the only other step is probably to use a ferrite choke or isolation transformer on the cable between the receiver and computer, since connecting the receiver to the computer will probably generate some hash.  I use an ordinary shielded mono audio patch cord - RCA on the receiver end, mini jack on the sound card end - with Radio Shack ferrite chokes on either end.  One choke cuts the RFI about 95% and the second cuts the rest.  Some folks prefer an isolation transformer but so far I haven't found that necessary.

Most folks will get better reception than I do, especially from Wolverine.  I'm just using a passive indoor shielded magnetic loop, and when conditions are good my SSTV reception from Wolverine is nearly noise-free.
(Off-air recordings.)

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 1935 UTC »
I have had pretty good results just holding a microphone up to my receiver's speaker.

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 2006 UTC »

MMSSTV, one of the world's great freebie programs.  Should be available from several sites.

Thanks Lex, I'm going to give that a try ...

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 2050 UTC »
I have had pretty good results just holding a microphone up to my receiver's speaker.

Not all of us can decode SSTV in our heads.   :o
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 2254 UTC »

Over the years, I have used several different programs for SSTV reception of both amateur and pirate material, and MMSSTV remains my favorite.  It may not be as polished as some of the others, but it's robust, flexible, and quite functional.

The "quick and easy" way to hook it up is, as mentioned above, to place your computer's microphone next to your receiver's speaker.  It will pick up the squawks and warbles and magically turn them into images.  It will also pick up other noises in the room, and be subject to some of the oddities of going through an acoustic link, but it's a perfectly usable method, and one that we used to get many people on the air with SSTV back when I was in Florida.

Another method also mentioned above is the direct audio line, though also as mentioned, you may need to choke out some noise with ferrite beads or toroids.

The method I prefer is to use a 1:1 transformer in the line, to isolate the radio and the computer from being directly connected to each other.  This also lets me throw an attenuator into the mix so I can adjust the levels easily with a knob instead of having to mess with onscreen volume controls all the time.  I also have another isolation transformer going the other way, from the computer to the radio for sending SSTV on the ham bands.  This is part of the interface that I made, which also has an outgoing attenuator (again, no fiddly onscreen controls), manual/off/auto TX switch (using the computer's serial port to kick the radio into TX mode), and a level meter to avoid splatter. 

That's a whole hellofalot more than the basics required to work SSTV though.  For the isolation cable approach, all you really need is an audio cable with a 1:1 transformer in it (you can use other values too if 1:1 isn't available - I've seen people use all sorts of wacky values and work fine - it just needs to be an audio transformer).

Then again, for full transmit-receive capability, a mic and speakers work just fine - just hold the one up to the other, depending on which direction you're going, and the sound goes through.

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
MMSSTV Re: Wolverine Radio 6925u
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 1407 UTC »

Over the years, I have used several different programs for SSTV reception of both amateur and pirate material, and MMSSTV remains my favorite.  It may not be as polished as some of the others, but it's robust, flexible, and quite functional.

The "quick and easy" way to hook it up is, as mentioned above, to place your computer's microphone next to your receiver's speaker.  It will pick up the squawks and warbles and magically turn them into images.  It will also pick up other noises in the room, and be subject to some of the oddities of going through an acoustic link, but it's a perfectly usable method, and one that we used to get many people on the air with SSTV back when I was in Florida.

Another method also mentioned above is the direct audio line, though also as mentioned, you may need to choke out some noise with ferrite beads or toroids.

The method I prefer is to use a 1:1 transformer in the line, to isolate the radio and the computer from being directly connected to each other.  This also lets me throw an attenuator into the mix so I can adjust the levels easily with a knob instead of having to mess with onscreen volume controls all the time.  I also have another isolation transformer going the other way, from the computer to the radio for sending SSTV on the ham bands.  This is part of the interface that I made, which also has an outgoing attenuator (again, no fiddly onscreen controls), manual/off/auto TX switch (using the computer's serial port to kick the radio into TX mode), and a level meter to avoid splatter. 

That's a whole hellofalot more than the basics required to work SSTV though.  For the isolation cable approach, all you really need is an audio cable with a 1:1 transformer in it (you can use other values too if 1:1 isn't available - I've seen people use all sorts of wacky values and work fine - it just needs to be an audio transformer).

Then again, for full transmit-receive capability, a mic and speakers work just fine - just hold the one up to the other, depending on which direction you're going, and the sound goes through.

Thanks for your input too, Seamus; just getting around to installing MMSSTV today.