We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Mystery CW stations, can any one help ident?  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Mystery CW stations, can any one help ident?
« on: January 07, 2017, 0358 UTC »
A previous post by me on this page relates to RIS9 and 2QLC which are around the 3-8MHz segments of HF, they have been on for some months.

However, early this morning I came across a new one, maybe some one knows of it?

1734z  4.609MHz  CW  "TR2Q TR2Q TR2Q de 5TUH 5TUH 5TUH v." 579 report which suggests maybe in Asia somewhere.

1724z  4.060MHz  CW  "TR2Q TR2Q TR2Q de 5TUH 5TUH 5TUH v." 439 report, much weaker than it's brother above, maybe different location or on another antenna pointed differently.

The station mentioned on 4.609MHz changed callsign on 09th Jan and became: "v 54V5 54V5 de FIK3 FIK3 FIK3 de" 549 report at 1045z.

Also noticed the Israel Navy beacon at Haifa was also quite strong at the same time, so Asia through to Middle East?  

Comments welcome...Jack VK2XQ
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 1051 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery CW stations, can any one help ident?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 2308 UTC »
This is the Chinese military station that is sometimes called M89 ( see here for info http://www.numbersoddities.nl/Chinese-military-nets.pdf  ).  They appear to have started using these frequencies around the first of the year (at least that is the first I have in my logs).

Also, while this is military and not really Spy Numbers, it was assigned an ENIGMA designation and these stations are watched closely by some in the numbers monitoring community, so I have moved the thread to that forum.

T!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 2310 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery CW stations, can any one help ident?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 0851 UTC »
Thanks, have downloaded the PDF and will read through it later.  I have noticed that 2QLC seems to have vanished, also RIS9 has only been heard on one frequency of late.  An interesting observation of 2QLC last week found that one of them was in fact sending "2QAIC" with the "L" replaced clearly by "AC", maybe they made a mistake recording it?

There are a lot of weird CW stations from 2MHz through to 8MHz, too numerous to log, I only log the regulars that are heard each night.  Thanks Token...Jack VK2XQ.
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.