We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pit Beef  (Read 5199 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Pit Beef
« on: January 11, 2017, 2152 UTC »
Pit beef is prepared by grilling a beef roast under high heat until it is medium rare, then sliced thin, and eaten on a platter, or as a sandwich with horseradish. Here’s how to make it:

First, the roast. I prefer sirloin tip, although some use top or bottom round. I don’t like the latter due to the thick wedge of fat then runs through it. I’ve heard of people using eye round, but grilled eye round is barely fit for human consumption, so I really can’t suggest that. Don't bother using any fancy cuts. And this is not an application for chuck roast (which is for pot roasts) or brisket.  Tri Tip would work great, but good luck finding any here out east. Those dastardly Californians hog it all.

Next, add the spice rub. I use two portions of salt to equal portions of ground red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and a little ground red pepper. There’s no exact science here.

Coat your entire roast with the rub.

Then put the roast in the fridge at least a day before you’re going to cook it, so the spices can get absorbed into the meat.

Next, take the roast out of the fridge, and let it sit on the counter for an hour or so, to warm up a bit, so when you grill it, you’ll maximize the volume that stays at medium rare. Of course, the USDA food safety police say this is a dangerous food safety violation.

Meanwhile, get your grill going nice and hot, and put the roast on.

Grill with the lid off on high heat.

When your instant read thermometer says 123F, you’re done. That’s medium rare. The USDA says 145F is medium rare. They’re idiots.

Next, you want to tent your beef under aluminum foil, to let it rest, so you don’t lose the juices. Don’t skip this step. If you cut into the roast now, all the juices will come gushing out, and you'll be left with dry meat.

While your beef is resting, you want to slice your onions. I use an electric meat slicer, since I’m going to use it to slice the beef anyway.

Slice your onions thin. As thin as you can.

Slice your beef thin as well. Sure, you can use a knife if you’re good at it and not lazy. Me, I’m lazy. And I have a deli slicer, so I may as well use it.

Serve on a platter. If you want to make a sandwich, Schmidt's 647 bread http://schmidtbaking.com/products/647-2/ works, I'd suggest toasting it first. 
Put some horseradish on the beef and onions. If you’ve got mayonnaise, throw it away now, before someone uses it.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pit Beef
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 2203 UTC »
Your catering my next outdoor show  ;D

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 2221 UTC »
Beef... It's what's for dinner...
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline corq

• Global Moderator
    • ICQ Messenger - 6176320
    • AOL Instant Messenger - uncorq
    • View Profile
    • corq dot co
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 2226 UTC »
Seriously looks awesome Chris, thanks!
Icom IC-705/AirSpyHF+ Discovery via GR5V
QTH: KMCO
plz qsl: corqpub ~at~ gmail.com
Captures posted to: http://youtube.com/uncorq
Kicks, Screams and Other Heresies: http://corq.co

Offline Dr. Strangelove

• DXing Phenomena
  • Northwest Alabama
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 0051 UTC »
Gone to get a deli slicer.....
R-390a, WJ-8718, Rohde & Schwarz EK07 and EK56, Siemens E311, 51-J4, R8, IC-7610. All reports are from my radios and antennas at my QTH.  Please QSL to morrisgarage770@msn.com   Northwest AL EM64

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 0228 UTC »
Very, very delicious.

What kind of horseradish do you use?

This summer, I got a root from a local farm (they pulled it out of the ground right in front of me) and grated it. That's now long since gone, and have had to resort to grocery store horseradish roots and, while not as good as fresh, its still pretty good freshly grated.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 1122 UTC »
I use Gold's horseradish. On the Ryver chat, Skipmuck mentioned a local brand he buys, Domins.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 0101 UTC »
I'll give those a try.

I don't usually use horseradish at home ... for some unknown reason. Tastes good & I like it, but  ???

On the other hand, fresh ground black pepper goes in nearly everything. And fresh garlic isn't far behind.

BTW: That beef still looks good, so very good.

Minneapolis, MN

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 0105 UTC »
Yes, everyone knows that the "pit" is the most delectable, not to mention the most aromatic, cut of beef.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 0129 UTC »
Yes, everyone knows that the "pit" is the most delectable, not to mention the most aromatic, cut of beef.

You really need to get out of the house more, Al.