We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Wireless Telegraphy May Make Us All Toothless, Hairless and Insane  (Read 3444 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
THE malignant effects of X-ray, ultra-violet rays and the somewhat similar rays emitted by radium are well known to the world of science. Wasting away of tissue, destruction of hair and sometimes destruction of the minds of those who handled these forces without sufficient protection were common until protective devices were made. A mysterious disease of the teeth, involving their loosening and dropping, without the recognized causes being present, has led scientific men abroad to consider the effects of the little known electric wave sent forth by wireless telegraphy.

Since the transmission of messages by waves in the air has become commonly practicable an enormous number of these waves are transmitted hour after hour, through day and night. This, the scientists argue, disturbs the electrical equilibrium of the atmosphere and lets loose an infinite number of destructive particles, comparable to the same destructive particles in the X-ray or in radium.

These particles, it is believed, are not only responsible for a new disease of the teeth which is becoming prevalent, but in time will also involve the destruction of the hair, the skin and perhaps the minds of the people at large. Dr. Rolfe Hensingmuller, of the University of Gottingen, one of those studying the effects of the wireless waves, here tells why we need some device to neutralize the malignant forces let loose by wireless telegraphy or the need of a protective armor for ourselves.

Full article: http://earlyradiohistory.us/1911why.htm
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Telegraphy May Make Us All Toothless, Hairless and Insane
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 1652 UTC »
The countless old timers of HAM radio discount that theory completely.
Those old timers who've used a kw or more on 20m every day since say 1947 or thereabouts. However, the difference is in the ionising vs non ionising properties, ionising always has right of way.

That being said, I've a radio compass from some ww2 allied aircraft that will saturate the highest reading position on my geiger, it's not a very big meter as it was fitted to fighters and bombers and just about every aircraft but it still has loads of life left in the radium used to make the indications visible in darkness. I keep it in the other room and glance at it on occasion, thinking of the guys and gals who spent hours at a time for days, weeks, years, sitting within a few feet of a dashboard filled with such instruments. Also, any decent nuclear war will do a lot in the way of creating work for the denture industrial complex.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 0110 UTC »
My mind is gone. But is it RF, alcohol, or open offices at work?

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 0141 UTC »
You work? I didn't think anyone on here worked? It's against the Pirates Code! A pirate dedicates their life to drinkin', wenchin' and pillagin' and specifically not work. Didn't you get the memo?

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 0345 UTC »
Only got the first three items from Pedro. Next time tell him to use Hellscreiber, a fine analog system instead of that flaky digital mess he sends out today.

Minneapolis, MN

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 0722 UTC »
When I was in college, there was a decommissioned synchrotron in the building adjacent to my dorm. I'm not sure when it was last active; my guess would be the 60s or so, well before my time there. The story I heard was that it was deactivated after someone noticed that the windows in the dorm were blackening from stray radiation.

When they shut it down they left the shielding, a big pile of lead bricks, in the garage-like room where the sync lab was operated. For some reason, the bricks, stamped with "Sync Lab" on each one, were still there when I attended, and due to events too strange to explain here, during a Ditch Day I acquired a couple of them.

I kept them with me for some 20+ years, using them as bookends, doorstops, and the like, until I got divorced and left them behind with the ex.

I never had them checked to see if they were radioactive, and I have wondered if they did me any damage over the years. I seem to be ok now, with no noticeable brain damage or anything else. I guess I got lucky. Of course, listening to pirate radio has probably done me more damage than any synchrotron radiation could have.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 1738 UTC »
When I was in college, there was a decommissioned synchrotron in the building adjacent to my dorm. I'm not sure when it was last active; my guess would be the 60s or so, well before my time there. The story I heard was that it was deactivated after someone noticed that the windows in the dorm were blackening from stray radiation.

When they shut it down they left the shielding, a big pile of lead bricks, in the garage-like room where the sync lab was operated. For some reason, the bricks, stamped with "Sync Lab" on each one, were still there when I attended, and due to events too strange to explain here, during a Ditch Day I acquired a couple of them.

I kept them with me for some 20+ years, using them as bookends, doorstops, and the like, until I got divorced and left them behind with the ex.

I never had them checked to see if they were radioactive, and I have wondered if they did me any damage over the years. I seem to be ok now, with no noticeable brain damage or anything else.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Penguinator.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 1819 UTC »

I never had them checked to see if they were radioactive, and I have wondered if they did me any damage over the years. I seem to be ok now, with no noticeable brain damage or anything else. I guess I got lucky. Of course, listening to pirate radio has probably done me more damage than any synchrotron radiation could have.

Episodes of the rodent revolution are the equivalent of a few roentgens dose.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 2013 UTC »
Hell the radiation from sitting too close to those old TV sets running 15kv or higher voltage must have cast out a few X-rays or some such.

Pick up an old ARRL hand book from the later 1930's and see those pictures of KW sets using compressed cardboard for the front rack panel...  I always wondered what something like that would cast out during a nasty parasitic in the final...

Consider the old days when using a diathermy unit on a person was a good idea....  it still might be but oh well...

If I was a betting person I'd say I have had more MRI's and CT scans than anyone on this list... and look there ain't nothing wrong with me...

Like most of you folks I hear voices in my head when the radio is on or off.  I dream about bigger and better radios and not an ocean island with a tribe of 1,000 or more women and me being the only man.

When the Jehovah Witnesses  come knocking on the door I answer it dressed only in my underpants.  Heck I even do that when the Sheriff comes knocking too...  they don't seem to mind.

When I take down my vertical antenna to clean the joints etc and a neighbor asks me what is that thing I always answer; "it's a penis stretcher do you want to try it?"

So I ask you, has all the assorted RF I have been near affected me in any way at all?  Of course not!

With that I need to go because my third arm is hurting a bit .... must be because it has grown out of the arm pit of my right arm...  evolution... gotta luv it right?

Now where is my medication.... <sigh>
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 2147 UTC »
Well, I'd say a bit touched perhaps. I mean, you're supposed to invite them in and THEN you start taking your clothes off.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 2158 UTC »
The department store in my town still had one of those foot x-ray machines decades after they'd been banned. Why? The then Mayor of the town, and for the previous 30 years, owned the store, and thought it would be neat for the kiddies to check out on special occasions. We were marched over to see the bones in our feet when I was in kindergarten. The things had been banned a decade then. I last saw it in the late 70's when he kicked the bucket. They brought some guys in funny suits to haul it away.

Seeing that this was the town where roughly 90% of the Agent Orange used by the military in Vietnam was manufactured, we didn't sweat a little radiation or anything else. One of the city parks was built on an asbestos dump. Now it's a boat ramp and parking lot. That's what you call progress.

No one ever gets sick in that town. They just keel over dead.