We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UHF mil air  (Read 162689 times)

Offline mike445

• View Profile
Re: UHF mil air
« Reply #510 on: January 26, 2020, 1658 UTC »
Yeah not like there's 34 pages of frequencies and links to freqs right here or anything.

How location specific are the frequencies? It's not like it's HF where you have a chance of hearing it no matter your QTH  :)

With a Centerfire Deluxe Discone about 20 feet in the air I’m easily pickup up a couple hundred miles around me. The higher the aircraft the farther I can hear them. As for the E6 burning mux...they have a very powerful signal and I can hear them for over 300 miles. Look at the air refueling tracks near you. Put their frequencies in. Put in the common frequencies (look in radio reference common military frequencies) Take the frequencies form the many pages in this thread. You’ll hear something tomorrow. I can be inside the house using a fully extended Diamond RH789 and hear action. Put the frequencies in today and you’ll hear action this week. Guaranteed.
Mike

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #511 on: January 26, 2020, 1755 UTC »
I posted to the Scan-DC list asking about active frequencies in this area. We'll see what turns up.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline mike445

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 26, 2020, 1808 UTC »
I posted to the Scan-DC list asking about active frequencies in this area. We'll see what turns up.

I just realized you’re in Maryland! There is SO much stuff in your area!! I do t see why you wouldn’t be able to hear Norfolk VA air to air frequencies if you have an outdoor discone! Good luck!!
Mike

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 26, 2020, 2156 UTC »
Yeah not like there's 34 pages of frequencies and links to freqs right here or anything.

How location specific are the frequencies? It's not like it's HF where you have a chance of hearing it no matter your QTH  :)

On this page, that I've linked to in several places in this very thread, is a box where you can enter your zip and see logs from within whatever rx range chosen;
http://www.milradiocomms.com/mil_freq_database.html

Keep in mind that I routinely hear HUNTRESS and several other east coast commands here in sw Indiana, via an ancient scanner attached to a HAM triband vertical mobile antenna hanging in the window on the ground floor. When they're 50k ft up you can hear them a long ways.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline mike445

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 26, 2020, 2206 UTC »

On this page, that I've linked to in several places in this very thread, is a box where you can enter your zip and see logs from within whatever rx range chosen;
http://www.milradiocomms.com/mil_freq_database.html

Keep in mind that I routinely hear HUNTRESS and several other east coast commands here in sw Indiana, via an ancient scanner attached to a HAM triband vertical mobile antenna hanging in the window on the ground floor. When they're 50k ft up you can hear them a long ways.

That is an awesome page!! I contribute there regularly. He can find refueling frequencies there as well.
Mike

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 27, 2020, 1656 UTC »
TACAMO flight burning mux on 366.600MHz 1650Z 27JAN19

Offline mike445

• View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 27, 2020, 1721 UTC »

Could it be from a P8 Poseidon?
Mike

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 27, 2020, 1740 UTC »

Mike

Far as I know only E4 and E6 carry the mux/ALCC system, mebber AF1 and AF2 do but not sure. Also, haven't seen a 4 or 6 via adsb maps in a while now, suspect they've stopped reporting, and for good reason.

Also;
"According to openly available data, the Dead Hand is an integral part of the “Zveno” system of air command posts, the development of which was carried out in the Soviet Union. The “Zveno” includes the airborne command and control post on the Il-86VKP aircraft, airborne radio relay on the Il-76RT aircraft, silo-based command missiles ‘Perimeter’ and mobile command missiles ‘Gorn’. In a period of threat, three Il-86VKPs would have the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the Defense Minister and the Chief of the General Staff respectively on board. The Il-86VKP is able to launch an 8 km long antenna, which not even impulses from nuclear explosions can affect. Using this antenna the aircraft can transmit commands to launch all the country’s intercontinental missiles even if all underground command posts are destroyed by the aggressor’s nuclear strike. The radio relay aircraft Il-76RT would transmit commands to launch missiles in distant regions, including those deployed on submarines. In this way, the Dead Hand guarantees a devastating retaliatory strike in the event of communications disruption and the destruction of command posts after the first-strike surprise nuclear attack by the enemy. Its command missiles launch their warheads into space, where no hostile satellite or nuclear explosions can reach them and from there “wake up” nuclear forces to strike the aggressor."
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/dead-hand-russian-real-life-doomsday-machine

sovietskii tacamoskii

Offline mike445

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 27, 2020, 1755 UTC »

Mike

Far as I know only E4 and E6 carry the mux/ALCC system, mebber AF1 and AF2 do but not sure. Also, haven't seen a 4 or 6 via adsb maps in a while now, suspect they've stopped reporting, and for good reason.

Also;
"According to openly available data, the Dead Hand is an integral part of the “Zveno” system of air command posts, the development of which was carried out in the Soviet Union. The “Zveno” includes the airborne command and control post on the Il-86VKP aircraft, airborne radio relay on the Il-76RT aircraft, silo-based command missiles ‘Perimeter’ and mobile command missiles ‘Gorn’. In a period of threat, three Il-86VKPs would have the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, the Defense Minister and the Chief of the General Staff respectively on board. The Il-86VKP is able to launch an 8 km long antenna, which not even impulses from nuclear explosions can affect. Using this antenna the aircraft can transmit commands to launch all the country’s intercontinental missiles even if all underground command posts are destroyed by the aggressor’s nuclear strike. The radio relay aircraft Il-76RT would transmit commands to launch missiles in distant regions, including those deployed on submarines. In this way, the Dead Hand guarantees a devastating retaliatory strike in the event of communications disruption and the destruction of command posts after the first-strike surprise nuclear attack by the enemy. Its command missiles launch their warheads into space, where no hostile satellite or nuclear explosions can reach them and from there “wake up” nuclear forces to strike the aggressor."
https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/dead-hand-russian-real-life-doomsday-machine

sovietskii tacamoskii

Ok thank you for that. There was an E4 in northern Kentucky when you posted that but it quickly disappeared.
Mike

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 27, 2020, 1827 UTC »
Fairly confident the E4 you mention would be who I heard. What adsb map did you use to catch them?

Offline mike445

• View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 27, 2020, 1850 UTC »
Fairly confident the E4 you mention would be who I heard. What adsb map did you use to catch them?
I saw it on ADSB exchange. I looked a few minutes ago and there was an E6 up in OK.
Mike

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #521 on: January 27, 2020, 2021 UTC »
Woohoo. Hearing traffic on 322.400 MHz, supposedly this is New York ARTCC Big Flat RGAG?  Hearing an OM assigning what sounds like local frequencies to various flights. A very strong signal.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline mike445

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 27, 2020, 2041 UTC »
Woohoo. Hearing traffic on 322.400 MHz, supposedly this is New York ARTCC Big Flat RGAG?  Hearing an OM assigning what sounds like local frequencies to various flights. A very strong signal.
Woo!! There ya go!! Have fun.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2020, 1740 UTC »

Awesome.  There’s a LOT of stuff to listen to on the UHF mil band 225-400 MHz and the UHF military LMR band 380-400 MHz.  While not as common as UHF, there’s a fair amount of military air comms in the 137-144 MHz and 148-150.775 MHz VHF high bands (mostly AM mode) and of course the 30-88 MHz “FM” tactical band.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 29, 2020, 1732 UTC »
Ongoing AAR 327.600 AM 1729Z 29JAN20