We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Al, do you neeed me to pick you up at the Philly airport...  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
for Winterfest? I understand our admirers are all revved up to finally meet us in the flesh. (Well, except for Kracker. I met him once, he acted like he was scared to death of me? He was probably intimidated by my stunning good looks and towering intellect.)

It must be tough to be a regular run of the mill pirate, then encounter Radio Gods such as ourselves. LMK, if you need a ride. I'll be driving the Huppmobile to make it easy for you to spot me.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Al, do you neeed me to pick you up at the Philly airport...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 0512 UTC »
I've been religiously absent from winterfest every year,
just to avoid having to live through such a moment....  ;D

On an unrelated note, fiberglass gets a damn lot colder than one might think. 
Must be the "glass"... I misplaced about 30 degrees somewhere....

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 1358 UTC »
Al, we've just made our exit from Baltimore. With the Huppmobile making up lost time on the flats and averaging 25 mph, we'll be there in four to six hours. Did you bring your slicker, your driving cap, and your goggles? The Hupp has no heat so you might want to swipe a blanket. When I picked that Yoder guy up hoofing it in the drifts along I-68/70, he was wearing shorts and got the last spare blanket.

Poet, I once had a friend who sold knockoffs at flea markets on the weekends, and behind the counter at his store. He was always sporting his latest fake Rolex's at the store.

One night he had a hot date after work. His late 70's Toyota Corolla, or "Coroda", as everyone called the old rust bucket, wouldn't start. I lived within sight of place, he saw the lights on at my house and called me for a jump. I drove over, got the cables hooked up and it started in seconds. He decides it's not the battery and wants to do some quick poking around under the hood while I sit inside and try to get it to turn over while he's adjusting things. Within a few minutes he's got it figured out and has me start it again. I do and it's running like a charm.

I get out and notice a couple of things, one; the rod that holds up hood is missing and two; he's been doing this one-handed holding the the hood up while poking around with a screwdriver with the fake Rolex arm under the hood, metal attached to both arms. I notice the Rolex hand is getting really near the coil as he's coming out from under the hood, while he other hand is on the bare metal of the underside of the hood. I'm about to warn him, starting to utter the words "Uh, George..."  to inform him that the fake Rolex's metal band is near the coil when he makes contact. His head and upper body shoot straight up into the hood, which, adding insult to injury, slams down on his head. I run to cut the engine and drag him out. He's grimy and suffering from the after effects of automobile induced electroshock therapy, confused as they get and not quite sure of where he was at, but not really worse for the wear.

He decided to skip the date and sleep on the cot in the back of the store, where his fresh off the plane nephew usually sacks out. About three hours later I get a call, it's the nephew wondering what happened to his uncle as he wasn't making a damned bit of sense, except that I had been there? I tell him the tale and he starts howling. In Lebanon, the nephew had been a local mechanic and knew all about the charge a coil could hold.

Poor old George has never lived down the "Night of The Living Coil". The man escaped a bloody civil war in his home country the late 70's only to be nearly done in by a rusty Toyota in the good ol' USA. If only he'd have clung to the Bondo sections of the hood, it would have never happened.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 1742 UTC »
But on the bright side,
since he was wearing a Rolex,
we know that a high-quality charge was obtained!

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 2312 UTC »
That fake gold does conduct.

He was possibly the biggest hound I ever knew. He looked like a young Omar Sharif and knew it. He charmed the pants off of scores of local girls, who had never seen anything like him. If Trump is looking for an Arab sleeper cell, George has been creating one in the States the old fashioned way since 1978. He's a Christian, but the Great Orange One won't let a minor detail like that get in the way.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 0435 UTC »
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras non placerat mi. Etiam non tellus

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2017, 1010 UTC »
Quit trying to show off, Al. You know I only read Pig Latin.

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 1414 UTC »
O, cibile!  Der dego.
Fortibus es en erro.
O, nobile!  Dem es trux.
Al degot es pixent dux.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 1654 UTC »
lol@penguin latin
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns