We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6900 kHz LSB then 6905 kHz LSB Spanish OMs 1330+ UTC 26 March 2017  (Read 1647 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Out of town still, listening on various SDRs.  These guys are currently the only thing popping up on the band on most East Coast/Midwest USA remote SDRs.  QSO started on what I'm calling the "frecuencia de llamando oficial de 43 metros" [official 43 meter calling frequency] and then moved up 5 kHz to 6905 kHz.  

Two several OMs chatting away, very informal, have addressed each other directly several times.  OMs talking over stations, the usual "hola! hola!" and "copiando" (i copy/do you copy?) traffic.  One OM just mentioned "llame me numero cellular" (should be easy to figure that one out - "call my cell phone number") and the channel went quiet at 1346 UTC.  Possible two stations were doing propagation/signal testing.

Activity came back up at 1348 UTC, but sounds like different stations.  "Buenas dias!", "estoy llamando" ("Good morning, I am calling....") etc.  Very informal CB-like chatter, sometimes a station will talk over another one but its nothing like the mess that is often heard on 6925 LSB.  

6900 kHz LSB continues to remind me of 27695 USB/LSB, 27665 USB/LSB and the various frequencies around those two (5 kHz steps), which seem to be the unofficial Latin American "freeband" calling frequencies, and people move up and down from there.  I have a feeling that 6900 kHz is the same thing only for 43 meters.  Wouldn't surprise me if some of these operators are simply moving down in frequency when 11 meters stops providing reliable long-range propagation.  The accents are similar, the use of 5 kHz steps, switching between LSB and USB as a way to escape QRM, congregating around a "calling frequency" or "watering hole" and then going up (or down) in 5 kHz steps from that starting frequency.  

While today's monitoring did not yield any location information (names of cities, obvious accents, etc), monitoring of 6900 LSB kHz / 6900 kHz USB in the past have indicated the following:  Mexican and Central American accents, names of Mexican cities, and propagation when the 6925 LSB guys are nowhere to be found says to me that at least some of these stations are coming out of Mexico.  That's not to say that some of them aren't land-based stations talking to people on boats/fishing fleets.  More exploration into the 690x groups is needed before I can say for sure either way.

----
EDIT:   at roughly 1350 UTC, at least some of the stations that were on 6900 LSB QSYed up to 6905 LSB and continued their QSO.  I figured I would just edit this post instead of creating a whole new thread.   ;D

I suspect that the peskies down on in the 690x area may be a completely different group (going by propagation/time of day, type of conversation, and, of course, language) than the ones hanging out on 6919 LSB, 6925 LSB, 6933 LSB, etc

I have passable Spanish language skills, somewhat limited vocabulary but ability to pick out accents is helpful. (luckily the Spanish vocabulary used in radio communications isn't too extensive) and have spent a large amount of time listening to 11 meter traffic coming out of Latin America when my "HF" setup consisted of only 11 meters.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 1423 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline aquabat

• sdr with horizontal loop antenna, "wellbroke" loop
    • View Profile
    • pesskie blog, rarely if ever maintained
    • Email
i noticed felipe calling alberto, where alberto is slightly off frequency like felipe used to be, maybe felipe gave alberto his old rig :)
sdr with horizontal loop antenna, 20 feet up, 250 feet all around. wellbroke loop for amdx and tropdx, very very lucky reception.

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
i noticed felipe calling alberto, where alberto is slightly off frequency like felipe used to be, maybe felipe gave alberto his old rig :)

I bet the equipment used is probably on its 3rd or 4th owner and has likely never been aligned :D
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns