We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Strange Sounds on 3480 KHz  (Read 4957 times)

cmradio

Strange Sounds on 3480 KHz
« on: December 19, 2008, 2239 UTC »
Hearing odd things on this frequency at night a couple of times per week.

AM mode with noises that I can only best describe as a chorus of coyotes yipping. Regular pattern, but being AM, don't think it's a digital transmission? ???

SSTV signal on AM?

I'll grab a recording net time I hear it.

Peace!

Offline cpuerror

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Sounds on 3480 KHz
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 0037 UTC »
Could it be a HAM using a very old transmitter in CW? Those are known to make chirping sounds with their analog oscillators and they drift quite a bit too, perhaps explaining why it is bordering on the ham band.

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 0412 UTC »
Hi,

Wasn't CW though, the AM carrier was steady as a rock other than the odd fadeout ???

Another way to describe the sound is if you have ever been into V/ULF listening, it sounds like the "dawn chorus". The signal persisted for as long as I was awake (I listen laying in bed most nights ;) ).

I thought of an outband HAM doing SSTV, but I've never heard such an emission on an AM carrier. I can pick it out on SSB OK though. There was the absense of the definate sync blips, but that could be due to the AM carrier noise making it.

Given some pirates have been experimenting with the low bands for the winter, I thought maybe someone here could lay claim.

Peace!

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 2213 UTC »
This has been on solid for the last few nights, but the signal levels won't allow a decent recording.

Last night however, it was replaced with packet transmissions, then back to the eerie sounding AM transmission.

Perhaps this is a MARS frequency? ???

Peace!

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 0145 UTC »
I just tried that freq, but I'm getting hammered by a weather station a few kc's up on usb...

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 0602 UTC »
Figured out what it is.... it's a jammer!

Was listening to aircraft in the vicinity the other night and tuned to see if I could hear it again. There was an asian station broadcasting away with the jammer just underneath having serious troubles.... 100Hz hum and then *poof!*, no more jammer! :D

Peace!