We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Unmodulated Carrier 6780 kHz 14 April 2017 0000-0120+ UTC  (Read 891 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Scanning the bands for freebanders, marine HF SSB traffic, pescadores, etc, I came across OTR on 6770 kHz AM (a nice surprise to see/hear them again) as well as a very strong but unmodulated carrier on 6780 kHz.  I have checked several different receivers and they all have the carrier there.  Tuning to 6780 kHz in AM mode quiets the receiver almost completely.

Not sure what this is, maybe a channel marker of some kind?  As far as I can tell, there's absolutely no modulation, just a carrier right on 6780.0 kHz.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m