We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Northwoods Radio 6935 USB 0008 UTC 4/15/17  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Northwoods Radio 6935 USB 0008 UTC 4/15/17
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 0738 UTC »
Caught Northwoods Radio's J Geils tribute show via a small Panasonic RF-B65 portable while bicycling in a rural area Friday night. I'll have to remember to pack that portable more often. Much less RFI static than in the suburbs. Just a bit of QRN until the street lights flickered on at dark, but the lights weren't noisy after they warmed up.

6935 USB, although I tuned to 6934 and adjusted the BFO down a bit to offset QRM from a ute up higher. Some QRM from an unid AM station for awhile but it cleared up by 0100z.

Between approx 0050-0130 UTC (not watching time carefully), first clearly audible song was "Detroit Breakdown". Signal was much stronger by gray line. Clear Northwoods Radio ID with loon calls, broadcasting from the Great Lakes, followed by live version of "Give It To Me", a song I couldn't ID without Googling, closed with an extended live version of "First I Look at the Purse", final ID from Northwoods Radio with loon calls.

I was recording video but my iPhone ran out of memory after 13 minutes so I switched to my bicycle's action camera video. Caught the tail end of the broadcast and closing ID with that.

Good signal considering I was using a small barefoot portable, just the whip. I tried to find an elevated area away from too many power lines and the highway.

While I was packing up to leave after the broadcast a sheriff's deputy pulled up to check on me. I was on what will eventually be a public road, but it's in a closed construction site right now, about half a mile from the highway. He was very cool about it. I told him I'd stopped to rest after a long hill climb and to listen to the radio for awhile. Turns out he's an avid mountain biker so we chattered about some local trails for single track. Good guy. He just asked that I not ride through that construction site after dark because the owners are concerned about theft and vandalism. Sounded like a reasonable request, and they're not forbidding cyclists to ride through in daylight since it's a convenient shortcut to a popular rural road for bicycling.

YouTube video of Northwoods Radio J Geils show
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 1231 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Fansome

Re: Northwoods Radio 6935 USB 0008 UTC 4/15/17
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 0805 UTC »
Good to hear from you.