We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New theory may explain the ‘music of the meteors’  (Read 1955 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
New theory may explain the ‘music of the meteors’
« on: April 18, 2017, 1343 UTC »
For centuries, some observers have claimed that shooting stars or meteors hiss as they arc through the night sky. And for just as long, skeptics have scoffed on the grounds that sound waves coming from meteors should arrive several minutes after the light waves, which travel nearly a million times faster. Now, scientists have proposed a theory to explain how our eyes and ears could perceive a meteor at nearly the same time. The hypothesis might also explain how auroras produce sound, a claim made by many indigenous peoples living at high latitudes.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/new-theory-may-explain-music-meteors
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: New theory may explain the ‘music of the meteors’
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 1716 UTC »
"But this theory requires a “huge” light source, Price says. Only meteors as bright as the full moon could emit enough light to produce such sound waves."

The meteors pierce the ionosphere and leave a trail of plasma as they go, so I imagine the huge amount of energy contained in the ionosphere, provided by the sun at all times, plays a role in this rf to audio conversion wether the meteor is shining like a full moon or not.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 1804 UTC »
I usually hear "Heaven is a Place on Earth", but sometimes it sounds like "Riddles in the Sand".

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 1952 UTC »
I once saw and heard a fireball arc across the sky. I thought the sound might have something to do with the altitude it was passing at, it was large and bright, about four times the size of Venus on a clear night and had a sparkling tail trailing it. It made a sizzling noise as it passed. It was roughly 4 a.m. on a November morning as we were packing up the truck to go deer hunting.

As for the anti-Bozo above me, he needs to pipe down or the tennis balls on the front of his walker may go missing.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 1614 UTC »
My god, steal a mans tennis balls?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 0424 UTC »
Sounds like elder abuse to me. I may have to unleash the lawyers one more time.

My god, steal a mans tennis balls?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 1338 UTC »
Sounds like elder abuse to me. I may have to unleash the lawyers one more time.

Careful Penguinello, the cops may get a tip about the denture bandit of Shady Acres and where to find him.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns