We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio 4KZ in Queensland to begin broadcasting on shortwave  (Read 1810 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
NEW SHORTWAVE SERVICE:

In May 2017 Radio 4KZ Innisfail in far North Queensland will commence transmission on 5055 kHz between 4pm and about 9am seven days a week.

The station will run 1.5kw into an inverted V antenna and will be a full simulcast of 4KZ, 531khz

It expected that the service will provide satisfactory coverage to
remote areas of the Cape where there are no AM or FM services available.

Sincerely
Al Kirton
General manager
NQ Radio

http://swling.com/blog/2017/04/radio-4kz-in-queensland-to-begin-broadcasting-on-shortwave/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Radio 4KZ in Queensland to begin broadcasting on shortwave
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 1322 UTC »
I'm going to guess that that's Australian Eastern Time (UTC +10) so beginning at 0600 UTC and ending at 2300. (With possible adjustments necessary for when they observe daylight savings time in the Southern Hemisphere.)
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 0230 UTC »
That's cool. With a good antenna and radio we ought to have decent shot of hearing it.

I remember being junior high and having to get up before everyone else. We had an Zenith multiband portable in the kitchen. Being 12, I thought it was neat that I could hear the morning drive time news and updates from the local AM stations, then switch to SW and get the afternoon and evening version of the same from Australia. I had a bad habit of not switching it back to AM before leaving. Everyone would be getting up and wandering around groggy as I was finishing up breakfast and heading out the door to the bus stop. They rarely paid attention to the radio except for weather and time. Funny accent? The local station must have hired an Englishman.

After a few mix-ups on time and adults being late to work, the only thing I was allowed to do with that radio during the school year was turn it on. 

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 0210 UTC »
Nice to see a commercial broadcaster stepping into the breach, as it seems that R. Australia will never return....

Can only guess how tough it is for rural people over there in Oz to get the point across that their safety and over the air entertainment counts more than more DAB in Hobart.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns