We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A decade into Record Store Day, a new world of vinyl  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Edgar Souse

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 1520 UTC »
A lot of that is just the "lo fi" style that became popular in the mid 2000's, I think. It's a nod to older pop music, analog synths, etc. I think it's cool to a point but like anything else, gets overdone and then becomes a caricature of itself.
RSP2 Pro, IC-7300, W6LVP Loop
Richardson, Texas, USA
Please QSL to bktx75@gmail.com

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A decade into Record Store Day, a new world of vinyl
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 1756 UTC »
A lot of the rock records I used to listen to became particularly bad around 2000.  Lots of clipping and overdrive, two things I can do without.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 2212 UTC »
Does anyone even own a Scully lathe anymore?
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline ncjay

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 0036 UTC »
People!  Be happy with music no matter what format you have it in, just listen to it and enjoy it.  None of us here can make a serious claim to be audiophiles, we listen to shortwave for crying out loud.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 1816 UTC »
People!  Be happy with music no matter what format you have it in, just listen to it and enjoy it.  None of us here can make a serious claim to be audiophiles, we listen to shortwave for crying out loud.

Vinyl on shortwave in C-QUAM is out of this world.
Minneapolis, MN

Uncle John

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 2155 UTC »

8)    "Hear-Here!"     8)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 0053 UTC »
I've heard plenty of songs that have a great hook or melody, but was destroyed by someone that wanted it to sound 'gross'.  I was listening to Soundgarden's 1996 release superunknown and was kinda blown away by how well that record was recorded.  Not over the top loud, just well recorded.  Daft Punk's last record was also very well done.  I own both on vinyl.  Some of the more mainstream stuff, not so much.  I still like rock music, but after so many years of playing it, it all starts sounding like a formula, and that's a turn off for me.

I don't claim to be an audiphile by any stretch of the imagination, but I know what I like and what I don't.  We run C-QUAM stereo on shortwave because we care about quality, and whatever vehicle to carry a great song to someone's ears is worth trying.  I've received some airchecks over the years that have sounded very nice, even in mono.  I left SSB because it was too difficult for people to get the tuning right, and its hard to enjoy a song if the intonation isn't correct.

I still refuse to accept the notion that AM has to sound like crap.  If our stations sounds bad, you either need better propagation, or a better radio.  Thanks to SDR's, that is becoming a smaller and smaller problem.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns