We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: iHeartRadio adds to suspicion its days are numbered  (Read 3391 times)

Fansome

iHeartRadio adds to suspicion its days are numbered
« on: May 06, 2017, 0537 UTC »
iHeartRadio costs jump in latest quarter, adding to suspicion its days are numbered

Published: May 5, 2017 4:09 p.m. ET

By
Ciara
Linnane
Corporate news editor

iHeartMedia Inc. on Thursday followed through with its promise to include “going concern” language in its next quarterly earnings, with the warning in its first-quarter report of “substantial doubt” as to its ability to survive another year.

The biggest operator of radio stations in the U.S. IHRT, +0.00%  is struggling with a $20 billion debt burden it took on as part of a $24 billion leveraged buyout of then Clear Channel Communications Inc. by private-equity firms Bain Capital and Thomas H. Lee Partners in 2008. The company is struggling to refinance or extend maturities on some of its borrowings and is currently pushing creditors to participate in a number of proposed exchange offers.

iHeartMedia has almost $350 million of debt coming due this year, and more than $8.3 billion of debt coming due in 2019. The owner of iHeartRadio and Clear Channel Outdoor had $365 million of cash at end March.

“Our current operating plan indicates we will continue to incur net losses and generate negative cash flows from operating activities given iHeartCommunications’ indebtedness and related interest expense,” the company said in its earnings release.

“iHeart has a fundamental business model that probably isn’t all that viable. The disruption in the marketplace is going to force them to rethink that model in the long term.”
    Drew McManigle, managing director, SierraConstellation Partners LLC

In the first quarter, revenue fell 2.4% and operating income fell 73%, as a gain on an asset sale in the year-earlier period was not repeated.

The big surprise in the quarterly numbers was an unexpected rise in expenses, which executives on the company’s earnings call failed to fully explain, said Tim Hynes, analyst at Debtwire. The company said its direct operating and selling, general and administrative costs jumped 11.2% in the quarter.

“They were pretty vague on the call and everyone had the same question: What caused expenses to go up so much?” said Hynes. “They said it related to media promotions and signing talent, but they were not specific.”

Executives acknowledged that the advertising market was weak, driven partly by slowing sales in the automotive sector, said Hynes. Earnings from Google parent Alphabet Inc. GOOGL, -0.47% GOOG, -0.49%  and social media site Facebook Inc. FB, -0.40%  this week showed they are gaining a lot of ad market share from traditional media companies.

iHeartMedia may have booked extra expenses in the quarter to put further pressure on bondholders to participate in bond and loan exchanges, he said. The company is trying to persuade its creditors to accept a series of exchange offers that would allow it to refinance more than $14 billion of term loans and other debt, offering new debt, equity and ownership in Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings. After its lenders failed to take up that offer in early April, the company extended the deadline.

Drew McManigle, managing director of SierraConstellation Partners LLC, a financial advisory and turnaround firm, said the company is likely to be forced into some kind of restructuring, most likely one that includes a restructuring support plan, such as a prepackaged bankruptcy in which creditors are on board with a rescue plan before a filing is made.

“iHeart has a fundamental business model that probably isn’t all that viable,” he said. “The disruption in the marketplace is going to force them to rethink that model in the long term.”

iHeart, which began life as a single radio station in San Antonio in the early 1970s, today operates more than 850 radio stations across the U.S. But the radio sector has struggled with competition from the likes of streaming services Pandora and Spotify. That has pressured ad sales, which were already on a downward track as ad dollars flock to internet giants.

McManigle noted changing consumer behavior among younger Americans, who are more likely to listen to their own downloaded music or use streaming services than radio. The death of local radio has exacerbated the trend, he said.

But the company is now in a dire state, with declining revenue, big losses and huge debt interest costs.

“I would be hard-pressed to believe the CFO doesn’t think they will hit the wall some time soon,” he said.

The two equity sponsors also own debt, “so they can play on both sides of the table. How other credit groups come out is another issue,” he said.

Debtwire’s Hynes said he expects the company will succeed in pushing through a debt exchange and will follow with further exchanges.

“There will be some resolution, probably not exactly what the creditors want, but the equity sponsors will want to keep control,” he said. “They’ll work something out that will give them the chance to go forward and if the business turns around, they could survive.”

iHeartMedia’s most active bonds, the 9.000% notes that mature in March of 2021, were quoted at 75.66 cents on the dollar, according to MarketAxess. The longer-dated 7.25% notes due in October of 2027 were trading at 40 cents on the dollar.

In the equity market, iHeartMedia shares were down 7%, while the S&P 500 SPX, +0.41%  was flat.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: iHeartRadio adds to suspicion its days are numbered
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 1135 UTC »
The Curse of Clear Channel marches on.

Nice piece of reporting, Al. Just how many pseudonyms are you writing under these days? This is the first time I've run across you using "Cierra Linnane".

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 1723 UTC »
But how will this effect the golden parachutes?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline RST111

• 30 miles east of Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 1724 UTC »
I'm hoping this will cause radio to go back to niche markets with interesting shows instead of the same playlist give or take a few songs on every station, or the same syndicated talk shows.  I miss the old days of tuning in AM radio in the wee hours and hearing the likes of Dr. Demento, CBS Radio Mystery Theater, and Art Bell.

Even with niche markets, though, it will be tough to compete with podcasts and internet streaming.  When cell phone data costs bottom out, people may not even use radios in their cars any more.

*shudders*
Pls qsl to rst111@protonmail.com ty!

QTH: 30mi East of Seattle

IC-R75, Afedri SDR, Airspy Discovery, Stridsberg HF Multicoupler, MFJ-1020C, Palomar CMNF-6, 40m dipole @ 100' AGL

Offline RST111

• 30 miles east of Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 1724 UTC »
But how will this effect the golden parachutes?

If Marissa Mayer and Yahoo are any indication, failure means a multi-million dollar bonus.
Pls qsl to rst111@protonmail.com ty!

QTH: 30mi East of Seattle

IC-R75, Afedri SDR, Airspy Discovery, Stridsberg HF Multicoupler, MFJ-1020C, Palomar CMNF-6, 40m dipole @ 100' AGL

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 1731 UTC »
Just the ensample I was thinking of.

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 2150 UTC »
They just gave Ryan Seacrest a 73 million dollar deal, too:

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/ryan-seacrest-contract-deal-iheart-radio/

They've Wal-marted radio in lots of areas. If they go under it will be at least interesting to see what comes next.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Uncle John

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 2158 UTC »

::)   Yawn-O-Rama   ::)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 1434 UTC »
errrrrr.... what the heck is I-Heart Radio?  <sigh>  I have an old pile of CD's that still play in spite of nasty treatment...  And Clear Channel...  well... I gave up on those bozos years ago...

So pop a CD into the drive and kick the crap out of that extended bass cab OK guys?

The 'Old Buzzard' now returns you to your reality not mine  :-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 0904 UTC »
From hanging out at another forum where radio industry business people and experts talk, I have gained the following insight into this IHeart mess (at least the way I comprehend it):

Many of IHeart's stations are huge money makers (primarily FM stations in big cities) -- they are doing well and making bucks, so if IHeart goes under those stations may be sold.

As for other stations in smaller markets that the company owns, ones that don't make much money, who knows. They may just go dark, especially if they are AM stations.

The fact is, the industry is hurting enough and the expenses are high enough (as mentioned in the above article) that it will never go back to all local, variety radio. Running a radio station is not cheap, and there are apparently a lot of smaller stations on the market with very few, if any, buyers -- indicating that there won't be a huge rush of local AM / FM broadcasting if the big companies fail.

With some AM stations, the land under the towers is probably worth more than the rest of the station.

The problem isn't limited to radio. Although newspapers aren't leveraged like IHeart is, many of the major papers are losing money and starting to cut more staff, including the New York Times (at least according to an article I read last month). Going online hasn't necessarily saved them, as the online based revenue isn't making up for what they had when they were print based and print was king.

Even sports and TV networks are feeling the pinch: ESPN just laid off some employees because cable TV cord-cutting has dug into their revenues, and they are facing increased competition not just from other networks, but they are all competing against higher costs and (you guessed it) the internet.

Radio will undoubtedly still be around in 25 years (even some AM stations may survive), but the way people get their entertainment is probably going to change to the pay-only model: most internet based news, entertainment and sports broadcasts will probably be behind some sort of pay wall.

It will go from Free-Is-The-New-Pay to Pay-To-Play, and whether that is good or bad, I'll let someone else decide on that one.....
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 1545 UTC »
Espn's efforts to jam liberal political commentary into every broadcast hasn't made them any more popular.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 1927 UTC »
Espn's efforts to jam liberal political commentary into every broadcast hasn't made them any more popular.

You see that in all branches of media now, not just on ESPN.  Watched any latenight lately?  NFL rating are in the toilet after all this grandstanding at the hands of its' players.

Iheart has been circling the drain for several years now.  A friend of mine thinks they will finally go under (Chapter 7) in about 18 months tops.

As they say, they made their bed, now they can lie in it.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 0720 UTC »
They wouldn't go Chapter 7, it would probably be Chapter 11, which is the form of bankruptcy that is aimed mostly at businesses... It would probably entail reorganizing the business, including the selling of some assets (the money making big city stations) to competitors.

As far as IHeart goes, I'm sort of saddened that they are in trouble (I thought some of their ideas, i.e. the online streaming options, were pretty good ideas, and forward looking), but it's the state of a lot of corporations in the US --- some retail outlets, other media outlets, all faltering or having to cut costs. The internet is changing the way we entertain ourselves and buy things.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).