We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Tecsun PL 660 frequency display problems  (Read 3825 times)

Offline dxman

• View Profile
Tecsun PL 660 frequency display problems
« on: June 04, 2017, 0025 UTC »
My new PL 660 is reading 5Khz lower than the frequency recieved eg tuning to 545 Khz tunes 550. This on AM up to all the way to 30 Mhz. I tried a reset and removing the batteries. Still the same, though when the narrow filter is on the frequency is correct then. Its good on FM.

Does anyone advise returning it to the seller|? Anyone else had problems like this? Apart from this the radio seems ok apart from the strange AGC that pumps on fading and pulls the radio to adjacent signals  - 10 Khz away!
Any help would be great, I hate sending things back is this really a lemon>?

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Tecsun PL 660 frequency display problems
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 2258 UTC »
I would ring them first and see what they say and then ask for an "exchange" radio if it's still under warranty.

I bought a new Tecsun-2000 base last November and it works pretty well but the BFO is acting up on resolving USB transmissions which causes the frequency readout to be out 1 to 2KHz.

Used to sit on the 2.00 o'clock position to resolve most USB with exact frequency, now hard clockwise and need to move VFO up 1 or 2KHz to resolve, a real pain.

Cannot beat a good receiver made in the UK, Japan or USA, we get what we pay for as far as Chinese junk is concerned. >:(
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 2329 UTC »
Return it for a new one. Nearly every owner of the PL-660 loves theirs, so you likely just got a bum unit. (Looking-Glass, that's advisable for you as well.)
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 1227 UTC »

Cannot beat a good receiver made in the UK, Japan or USA, we get what we pay for as far as Chinese junk is concerned. >:(

The Taiwanese made good stuff, also. My Sangeans made in Taiwan all are still working well. Only one (my DX-398/Sangean 909) had a negative battery terminal go intermittent (from hard use, after about 8-9 years) -- an easy fix.

Otherwise, your point is very well taken. The Japanese made excellent radios and aside from ham rigs, I don't think any DX radios are made in Japan anymore, aside from the Sony EX5MK2 AM-FM radio (a MWDXer with synch). And maybe some other model I don't know of...

The Chinese make simpler radios OK (the Sangean PR-series seem to hold up well), but the more complex you want from the radio, at a low price, you get varying quality apparently. My Grundig G2 is still working OK (it gets weekly or 2x a week use), but I"ve read so many complaints about dud Tecsuns/Kaitos/Degens that I think it's a matter of the company telling the factory to churn 'em out as inexpensively as practical....

As far as the OP is concerned, if I were in your shoes I would see if it could be returned/replaced... or just live with the glitch. As long as it receives well. Every radio seems to have some idiosyncrasy that one has to live with... it's just too bad in your case it's a defective form of idiosyncrasy. :-)
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 0533 UTC »
Dxman, it appears you have a lemon. I have had a couple of PL-660 portables over the years, and what you are describing is not normal operating behavior. Possible lomg-term reliability aside, it is a better radio than your descibed example.

Boombox, speaking of Japanese radios, there still is new stock of the Sony 7600GR on the market despite having been discontinued for quite awhile now. Goes for around $120 to $150. I had one or two several years ago as nightstand HF/SWL receivers. Not much on features compared to a modern portable like he PL-880, but great made-in-Japan build quality and performance. The sync detector even worked decently on weak signals once I did the needed modification, though admitedly, I am not sure the mod is worth the effort when ECSS tuning often can accomplish similar results.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 0545 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 0751 UTC »
MDK2 the radio is just out of warranty, and I live quite a distance from place of purchase, just putting up with it presently.

BoomboxDX you are correct, the old days of quality workmanship in the radio electronics industry are long gone..."churn 'em out as inexpensively as practical"...rings true. :(

The good old days of top notch quality American, Japanese, European and Taiwanese radio is slipping away with the sunset.

We get what we pay for, cheap and nasty "disposable" things is the norm these days. ;D
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns