We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Cuban Numbers Pork  (Read 3859 times)

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Cuban Numbers Pork
« on: June 04, 2017, 1903 UTC »
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Cuban Numbers Pork
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 0027 UTC »
Oh, that looks good.

I would eat just the meat. Just meat. No other distractions. Maybe mustard. Mustard is not a distraction, but an accompaniment to gently enhance the flavors of the meat and liven up the tastebuds.

And Pedro gets none!

After dinner, a fyne Cuban cigar. You can get Cuban cigars at:
Atención 02941 92950 28581 99102 06512 65201 52010 43829 91062 11020 55521 05912 19591 12062 72812 09125 25821 71281 Final
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 0032 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 1545 UTC »

I would eat just the meat. Just meat. No other distractions. Maybe mustard. Mustard is not a distraction, but an accompaniment to gently enhance the flavors of the meat and liven up the tastebuds.

The mustard is worth making. In fact, I always skip to the "leftover" sandwich part. My co-workers beg me to make this meal because I bring them in some after I make it... and only because I make so much of it at one time.  :)

Σ
- Rob

CT/MA border

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 1634 UTC »
That looks quite tasty, thanks for sharing. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 1339 UTC »
You have to cut the numbers to really make it Habana style.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 0010 UTC »
You've got to have the mustard with a Cuban sandwich. The sandwich presses are getting easier to find outside of Fla. and Greater NYC, too.

When it comes to the style in Florida I always preferred the way they make it in the Tampa/St. Pete region than Miami. You can cut up a long loaf of crusty French style bread to make the sandwiches if you can't get the Cuban style stuff.

How do I say this, if you're a Cuban cigar fan, there are plenty of offshore sellers who will eagerly ship to the States and guarantee delivery. If Customs gets your cigars they'll reship at no cost to you until your package arrives. Personally I think there have generally been better cigars being made in Nicaragua and Honduras than in Cuba since the middle of the last decade. A much more consistent product, too. Construction on handmade Cuban stogies has gone to Hell over the years.

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 2031 UTC »
Found a couple photos that I sent to my buddies to make them drool. You also need the pickles and "double pig" (cuban pork and ham) in your sammich.
- Rob

CT/MA border

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 0017 UTC »
Yup. Even Al would eat one. He'd likely stuff himself and claim the gas from the frijoles negras on the side were the onset of "brain bubbles".

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 1347 UTC »
It's time to make this again this weekend. If you haven't tried it, please do. It is really worth it... and it goes good with beer. :)
- Rob

CT/MA border

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 1908 UTC »
Up to this point, my favorite place to have Cuban food was served on the street in front of Fenway by Boston's favorite son from Habana, every time I visited he was there (from Best Food around Fenway.  Editor's note: Yawkey Way was renamed):

The Cuban Sandwich
El Tiante 
Yawkey Way
Before the game, Yawkey Way is the place to be. Entry is restricted to ticket holders, but the legendary outdoor meeting place offers some of the best Fenway food you can find in one place. El Tiante is a particular fan favorite, owned by Cuban Red Sox pitching great Luis Tiant, serving up excellent Cuban sandwiches. As a bonus, sometimes he’s even there to watch you eat them and sign some autographs.

I rate the food at EL Tiante's - nueve-ocho-nueve-seis-cinco-cuatro
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 2303 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 2243 UTC »
I tried like Hell to get Luis' high kick down as a kid, but mostly fell off the the higher mounds of that time in the follow through.

The cannonball arms those long guys had in that time combined with the high mound meant low ERA's and more finished games by starting pitchers. The lowering of the mound ended the era of ironmen pitchers and led to longer games.

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 1152 UTC »

You are exactly right, Pigmeat.  The best closers in those days were your starters.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)