We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Spicy Tuna Sashimi Salad  (Read 6968 times)

Fansome

Spicy Tuna Sashimi Salad
« on: June 06, 2017, 0542 UTC »
I don't recall now where I first saw this, but I've made it many times, and it's pretty good, and very low in carbs. Using olive oil is not particularly "authentic", but it works pretty well.

I usually use frozen tuna chunks from Walmart; they're individually wrapped, and taste just fine. Instead of the lime juice, I often use a good-quality balsamic vinegar.

Spicy Tuna Sashimi Salad
A classic Japanese dish full of exquisite flavors.
By: Asian Fusion Girl
Twitter: @AsianFusionGirl | Facebook | Author's Site
There is no greater delicacy than that of superb quality sashimi. When you start with such an ingredient, little else can go wrong. This is my recipe for a classic Japanese favorite- spicy tuna with mixed greens. It's a super easy recipe to follow requiring all of 10 minutes or so to complete. The end result is a highly nutritious and delicious dish that keeps your palate and waistline happy.
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 lb sashimi grade raw tuna
2 scallions (green onions), finely chopped
1/2 large cucumber, peeled and diced
3/4 lb mixed salad greens rinsed and drained+
Dressing
4 tablespoons regular soy sauce
2 tablespoons Sriracha chili sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice
2 tablespoon sesame oil
4 tablespoons olive oil
Method
In a large mixing bowl, toss together the scallions, diced cucumber and salad greens. Divide and arrange on serving plates. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
On a clean chopping board, slice the tuna into approximately half inch cubes. Gently toss the cubed tuna over the salad greens. Finally drizzle the dressing evenly over the tuna and salad. Serve immediately.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Spicy Tuna Sashimi Salad
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 0740 UTC »
So that's what, four cans of StarKist?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 1342 UTC »
Is sriracha Japanese?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 1711 UTC »
It's Thai, but it's made in SoCal.

Is sriracha Japanese?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 2339 UTC »
It was simply called "Thai Sauce" for decades before snooty foodies discovered they could import it from S.E. Asia instead of having to cultivate a friendship with S.E. Asians on this side of the Pacific who made it at home. They could sell the imported stuff to suckers, (not mentioning anyone who attended CalTech by name), at a huge mark-up with the Thai name on the bottle. Now it's made here, too.

There should be recipes for the real deal on the web, but a bit of advice if you try it, make it outside, wear gloves, and stay upwind. It has a similar effect to tear gas if you get a good snootful while making it. I leave making it to a Thai friends wife. They've been my connection for the stuff for years. A quart lasts for nearly a year, sometimes longer. That mother's milk they sell in stores doesn't induce the temporary blindness the genuine article does. As my Thai friends say, "The worse it smells, the better it tastes." It's true. The homemade stuff is a scalp lifter.

Quit stallin', Al. Star-Kist or Bumblebee for this one? Star-Kist is ok, and easiest to find, but I like the pungent dolphin undertones of Bumblebee. And once again, how many cans?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 1512 UTC »
One must carefully weight the tradeoffs of that can of tuna, does it say dolphin friendly or dolphin slaughter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S4VsI78qG0

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 0033 UTC »
I was in 4-H. Part of it was raising hogs and steers to enter the bacon and beef in contests. If can deal with eating a mammal I raised from birth, I've got no problem eating those sea hogs called dolphins no matter how you have to gig 'em.

A dolphin has nothing on a pig when it comes to brainpower. Plus, if you need to dispose of an annoying individual, you can knock 'em in the head and throw 'em into the hog pen. You can rake what's left of the bones into the dirt in the morning. As I was told when I was just toddler, "Never f**k with a man who raises hogs." A sound reason to raise the noble beasts.

Speaking of annoying individuals, a certain fellow who won't answer a simple question about brands of tuna is starting to tick me off. Seeing that he lives in region overrun by feral hogs, I'm getting tempted to stake him out on the ground with a nearby speaker blasting out the squeals of a sow in heat.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 2151 UTC »
Seeing that he lives in region overrun by feral hogs, I'm getting tempted to stake him out on the ground with a nearby speaker blasting out the squeals of a sow in heat.

I think I saw Hunter S Thompson do this to Keith Richards once in an interview... Quite effective!

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 0024 UTC »
Just think how those hogs will enjoy meat on the hoof like Al, instead of a piece of rancid jerky like Keef.

Now where did I put that "Eau de Sow" and my Slim Whitman records? Nothing brings in the rampant boars in like Slim hitting those high notes.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 2317 UTC »
What we have here is a case of a "Tuna Hog" named Al Fansome. I did a little searching online, there are several brands of canned sashimi grade tuna out there. He's been holding out on us.

Fansome

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 0648 UTC »
Philistine.

What we have here is a case of a "Tuna Hog" named Al Fansome. I did a little searching online, there are several brands of canned sashimi grade tuna out there. He's been holding out on us.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 0145 UTC »
Philistine.

Tuna hog!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 1129 UTC »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's