We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Obesity — a historical perspective  (Read 4159 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Obesity — a historical perspective
« on: June 12, 2017, 1546 UTC »
What is really the cause of obesity (the aetiology of obesity)? This is not a question most people think about because they assume they already know the answer. Too many calories causes obesity, they think. Of course, if it were true, then cutting calories would reverse the obesity epidemic. That, unfortunately, did not happen.

The entire obsession with calories was a 50 year dead end. We can only start to address the problem of weight loss and gain by understanding the real causes. So what is the real cause of obesity? Let’s go back in time and see what people thought about obesity in the past.

Full article: https://medium.com/@drjasonfung/obesity-a-historical-perspective-a4056bbd91cb

Eating low carb to lose weight is not new, it was known back in the 19th century, and indeed the first diet book written was about eating that way: https://archive.org/details/letteroncorpulen00bantrich
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Obesity — a historical perspective
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 1633 UTC »
Sugar should be classified as a drug.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 0255 UTC »
It means you've got enough money to get that way. Up until the early 20th cen. extra weight was seen as a sign of prosperity. If it was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft, it's good enough for us.

Online MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 1644 UTC »
It means you've got enough money to get that way. Up until the early 20th cen. extra weight was seen as a sign of prosperity. If it was good enough for Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft, it's good enough for us.

Teddy and Billy did it the old fashioned way. These days calories are so cheap that it's as likely an indication of poverty as it is anything else. $10 on a nice 3 lb chicken, or two massive bags of Doritos at Walmart? Hey, I know which one will feed a family all day long.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 0520 UTC »

Teddy and Billy did it the old fashioned way. These days calories are so cheap that it's as likely an indication of poverty as it is anything else. $10 on a nice 3 lb chicken, or two massive bags of Doritos at Walmart? Hey, I know which one will feed a family all day long.

And the dog. Chicken bones can kill a dog, but not good ol' Nacho Cheese Dorito's.

Now quit being snooty and pass the bean dip.

Online MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 2209 UTC »
And the dog. Chicken bones can kill a dog, but not good ol' Nacho Cheese Dorito's.

Now quit being snooty and pass the bean dip.

Does it come in a can and is it sold at gas stations? That's my kind of bean dip.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 1939 UTC by MDK2 »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 0224 UTC »
Is there any other kind?

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 0748 UTC »
The real problem, in Pigmeat's case, is how to remedy a fat head. Doh!

Is there any other kind?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 0816 UTC »
I'm big skulled. A giant brain like mine needs plenty of room, unlike a certain pinhead I know.

BTW, there's a carnival in town. The sideshow manager asked if you were still available for the summer.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns