We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Whacks an Obscure New Jersey AM Radio Station. But Once Upon a Time, Kids...  (Read 1659 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
To the Federal Communications Commission, I’m pretty sure that formally shutting down a tiny AM radio station in New Jersey last week – for apparently falling a couple of years behind on its fees – was a small bureaucratic formality.

But here was a time when WKMB, 1070 AM in Passaic Township, New Jersey, was one of the coolest radio stations I ever heard or saw.

Full article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/fcc-whacks-an-obscure-new-jersey-am-radio-station-but_us_594b19bfe4b092ed90588b9d
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
According to the Wikipedia article for WKMB 1070 kHz AM, they returned to the air on July 1, 2017.

A 250 watt Class D AM station out of New Jersey, do you hear it on a regular basis in Maryland, Chris?
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
According to the Wikipedia article for WKMB 1070 kHz AM, they returned to the air on July 1, 2017.

A 250 watt Class D AM station out of New Jersey, do you hear it on a regular basis in Maryland, Chris?

Nope, 10 kW WKOK in Sunbury, PA dominates.  I just tried phasing, and I can mostly get rid of WKOK, and hear bring some other stuff out of the muck, but nothing that stands out as being WKMB, assuming they still have a gospel format?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
According to their Facebook page, they're still gospel. With the latest post from about an hour ago.
Minneapolis, MN