We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Al, we both know that SDR's are Satan's scanners.....  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Al, we both know that SDR's are Satan's scanners.....
« on: July 04, 2017, 0056 UTC »
but the new Bonito's come with an optional bottom lit high quality tuning knob that plugs in to a USB port. Is the Devil trying to tempt us or have SDR manufacturers come to their senses and listened to the will of the people?

I suggest buying them all up and sending them to the Vatican to be exorcised. They could be a bigger menace than Quija boards if we don't take precautions.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Al, we both know that SDR's are Satan's scanners.....
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 1647 UTC »
When I use my sdrs for digital mode decoding I don't need a knob, however, when I want to listen to voice modes and cruise the band via the sdr rigs I'm frustrated by the lack of same. I've been pestering a manufacturer of low cost radio doodads to roll out a cheap but cheerfull tuning knob and they're looking it over. There's a few vids on youtoob where a guy took apart a mice and used its optoencoder to make a tuning knob, so it can be done by the home builder. We should make one for Al that has penguin stickers on it.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 0449 UTC »
Aftermarket novelty "Nun" mouse and mouse pads have been available since the 80's.  It should be easy to get the companies that make them to switch to penguins.

Who knows, there may already be an "Opus" mouse out there for fans of "Bloom County"? Boy, I'd like to see Al's face light up when one of those arrives!

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 1411 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 1508 UTC »
There goes his bingo money for this weekend.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns