We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Steps to Lower Noise Floor and Revitalize AM Radio  (Read 1659 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Steps to Lower Noise Floor and Revitalize AM Radio
« on: July 17, 2017, 0151 UTC »
http://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/0004/steps-to-lower-noise-floor-and-revitalize-am-radio/339995

Dear Valued FCC,

Please read this article. If you want quantitative data, then come to my house and you can measure yourself. By sitting in the driveway, you can get at least four different & distinct RFI sources (at least that I've been able to determine as distinct). And please tell me why I receive RFI on my inside house wiring when the main breaker is off.

Then we will go on a short drive with clear evidence of more RFI.

In 2001 when I moved into my house, RFI was non-existent. It was soooooo quiet. Today its a mess and getting worse.

Sincerely,
skeezix
U.S. citizen & taxpayer (oh boy, am I a taxpayer!)

_   /|
\'o.O'
=(___)=
   U      ack!

Minneapolis, MN

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Steps to Lower Noise Floor and Revitalize AM Radio
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 0227 UTC »
You beat me to it Skeezix, I was going to post this as well.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 0546 UTC »
It was 2005 here when it got bad. Our local phone company was sold. Verizon hadn't kept the right of ways up worth a damn and the new carrier didn't have the resources. It's gotten steadily worse as branches decorate phone, power and cable lines everywhere. Throw in all the new RF spewing devices and the region is now known as "The Static Valley" by local hams and tech guys.

When I moved in here, the two big sources of outside RF noise were when the pumps on water intake down the road kicked on and the guy across the street's garage opener.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 1309 UTC »
In my world, it's been a tradeoff. In the past, it was the powerline buzz. Now it's the power company's smart meter. Periodically it rips away with s9 of buzz. But it's maybe once a week or so.

I've had no issues with LED lights, or CFL's that work properly.

My router does put out some RFI, but not enough to keep me from DXing.

Poor propagation? Yeah.

But I can sympathise with those who have worse RFI. One neighbor's washing machine put out alien sounds all over the lower HF, and another neighbor's twin plasma TV's wreaked tons of havoc all over the 40 and 41 meter bands.

The main problem with AM radio is the crappy antennas on most cars, as well as the fact that auto computers aren't shielded well for RFI.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns