HFU HF Underground - Shortwave Pirate Radio Forums in North America and Around The World (And other stations that go bump in the night)
    New users are welcome! Please register for an account in order to post to the board.   Posting your logging here is the best way to get a QSL from a station. September 21, 2017, 1028 UTC *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You can access the HF Underground wiki here: http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/Main_Page as well as the Radio Hobbyist technical blog

Click here for the: Pirate Radio IRC Chat Java Client

Also the EuroPirate Chat

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/HF__Underground

Home   Help Search Login Register  
     Shortwave Broadcast Schedules     
   Android app with over 12,000 shortwave broadcast schedules     

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Steps to Lower Noise Floor and Revitalize AM Radio  (Read 417 times)
skeezix
Global Moderator
DX Legend

Minneapolis, MN

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2017, 0151 UTC »

http://www.radioworld.com/columns-and-views/0004/steps-to-lower-noise-floor-and-revitalize-am-radio/339995

Dear Valued FCC,

Please read this article. If you want quantitative data, then come to my house and you can measure yourself. By sitting in the driveway, you can get at least four different & distinct RFI sources (at least that I've been able to determine as distinct). And please tell me why I receive RFI on my inside house wiring when the main breaker is off.

Then we will go on a short drive with clear evidence of more RFI.

In 2001 when I moved into my house, RFI was non-existent. It was soooooo quiet. Today its a mess and getting worse.

Sincerely,
skeezix
U.S. citizen & taxpayer (oh boy, am I a taxpayer!)

_   /|
\'o.O'
=(___)=
   U      ack!

Minneapolis, MN
redhat

Music is my drug.

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 0227 UTC »

You beat me to it Skeezix, I was going to post this as well.

+-RH

Somewhere under the stars...
WinRadio Excalibur/305 w/ a chi-town resonant loop, Kenwood KDC-U356 for mobile listening.
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] gmail [d0t] com
Pigmeat
DX Legend

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 0546 UTC »

It was 2005 here when it got bad. Our local phone company was sold. Verizon hadn't kept the right of ways up worth a damn and the new carrier didn't have the resources. It's gotten steadily worse as branches decorate phone, power and cable lines everywhere. Throw in all the new RF spewing devices and the region is now known as "The Static Valley" by local hams and tech guys.

When I moved in here, the two big sources of outside RF noise were when the pumps on water intake down the road kicked on and the guy across the street's garage opener.
BoomboxDX

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 1309 UTC »

In my world, it's been a tradeoff. In the past, it was the powerline buzz. Now it's the power company's smart meter. Periodically it rips away with s9 of buzz. But it's maybe once a week or so.

I've had no issues with LED lights, or CFL's that work properly.

My router does put out some RFI, but not enough to keep me from DXing.

Poor propagation? Yeah.

But I can sympathise with those who have worse RFI. One neighbor's washing machine put out alien sounds all over the lower HF, and another neighbor's twin plasma TV's wreaked tons of havoc all over the 40 and 41 meter bands.

The main problem with AM radio is the crappy antennas on most cars, as well as the fact that auto computers aren't shielded well for RFI.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).
Pages: [1]
  Print  
     Field Strength Calc     
   Determine the received strength of a transmitted signal     

Jump to: