We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6923Khz - AM 2345UTC  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
6923Khz - AM 2345UTC
« on: September 23, 2010, 2346 UTC »
Just finished playing "C'mon baby, light my fire" and playing another famous 70's tune now! Good sig here with a little fading, but otherwise nicely heard. 2345UTC

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
Re: 6923Khz - AM 2345UTC
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 0202 UTC »
Just curious, did you by chance 'cal' your BFO on an AM shortwave station (like 6985 for instance) first before tuning in 6925 (or thereabouts)?

Just curious ...

I do this with my Degen DE1103 portable receiver all the time, if I don't 'cal' (Zero beat the BFO) on a known station I won't be 'reading' the frequency correctly in the digital display ... the Icom 756 and most up-scale receivers don't have this issue of course ...

Even on an AM station I can 'tell' when tuning down from 6985 to 6925 when I'm at or near zero beat for ascertaining actual 'channel' frequency. With the Icom I've got, the dial itself is good to 20 Hz resolution, but the Degen is 1 kHz and could be off a bit more because the wide IF filter will let a signal 3 or 4 kHz away come 'through' the receiver decently ...

o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 0559 UTC »
Guess I should have corrected my post, yikes! It was the usual 6925Khz freq I was monitoring but performed a typo tonight! Ah, my rig won't zerobeat anything unless it's CW. Guess I could try to use the RIT (Receive Incremental Tuning) and DSP Slope or try some other methods.

What i do usually, is tune to where I hear the station properly and ignore the signal meter, because with AM we're looking for pinpoint precise audio, where with SSB, we're looking to tune that station in until it sounds like a normal voice. 

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 1421 UTC »
Guess I should have corrected my post, yikes! It was the usual 6925Khz freq I was monitoring but performed a typo tonight! Ah, my rig won't zerobeat anything unless it's CW. Guess I could try to use the RIT (Receive Incremental Tuning) and DSP Slope or try some other methods.

What i do usually, is tune to where I hear the station properly and ignore the signal meter, because with AM we're looking for pinpoint precise audio, where with SSB, we're looking to tune that station in until it sounds like a normal voice. 

Guess I'll have to make a vid to describe/show the concept; it's really quite easy to 'zero-beat' a signal using the BFO or even 'tune' in an AM signal in SSB mode and 'note' the frequency on the dial/digital readout or where the two tones (the BFO and the AM carrier) are close to each other (or where the audio sounds normal; that would then be the 'carrier' frequency) ...

BTW, you can still edit that post above - just click the "Modify" button!  :) :)

o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns