We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Santa Maria, Azores 8.825MHz  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Santa Maria, Azores 8.825MHz
« on: August 01, 2017, 2338 UTC »
Was very surprised to hear "Santa Maria" in the Azores on 8.825MHz USB at 1622z a good 5X4 report working various aircraft which were quite weak.

Santa Maria is operated by Nav Portugal, the operator identified each transmission..."Aircraft calling Santa Maria call again please?"

From my location this is a distance of 19,471kms.  Good to see conditions open on 8MHz although it was 2.22am in the morning here and minus 4 degrees outside! ;)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Maria, Azores 8.825MHz
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 0108 UTC »
"morning here and minus 4 degrees outside"
 if you Aussies are not going to the Top End, read a good book called "The Invisible War" (Gil Murray) about Great White North visitors who do.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 0132 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Maria, Azores 8.825MHz
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 0846 UTC »
sat_dxer...the Top End is the tropical part of Australia, thanks but no thanks, I lived for many years in Micronesia (Nauru, Western Kiribati & Marshall Islands) so have had my fair share of heat, humidity, flies and mosquitos.

I rather rug up and stay warm rather than try and keep cool from the heat. The beauty of it all that the little Tecsun-2000 sits nicely on the bed side table linked to the wire, it might not be as good as the big FT-2000D Yaesu but still pulls in the DX.

Have you seen the real estate prices in Darwin lately?

Yet to have our first winter snow fall here... 8)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns